Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

,webp files

Yes, there is another thread about this, but Apple won't let me reply to it.

Since Big Sur, if I drag and drop images from the web to my desktop - memes, for example - Safari adds .webp to the image without asking for my authority. No site I frequent will take .webp images; they are just grayed out. the files come out like this: meme.jpg.webp. If I just remove the .webp from the file in finder, they aren't grayed out, but the sites say something like File Is Not an Image As Expected. So, I have to take screen shots of the image in Finder or Preview. There has to be a better way.

Why is Apple foisting this worthless format on us anyway? I would like to prevent this from ever happening. Or maybe I'll have to use another browser.

Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 5:04 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 5:04 PM in response to George Pepper

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

,webp files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.