Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open EXEC file on Mac and why they are appear?

I just got an issue, can't open my study files from mine memory card. How could i open files? How that happened that I was able to open 20 min ago and now all my files not able to open. Thanks in advance. Halyna.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 26, 2018 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2018 5:45 PM

Files NAMED file.exe are Windows executable files, and will not run without Windows (or certain emulators) installed.

Files with this Icon are Unix (possibly for Mac) executable. They could be important files, or they could be garbages files.

For reasonable advice, the names of the files are needed:

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2018 5:45 PM in response to halynafromauckland

Files NAMED file.exe are Windows executable files, and will not run without Windows (or certain emulators) installed.

Files with this Icon are Unix (possibly for Mac) executable. They could be important files, or they could be garbages files.

For reasonable advice, the names of the files are needed:

User uploaded file

May 26, 2018 6:47 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

They can also be non-text, filesystem orphans for which no application currently remains available to open them. Thus, they fail the magic file test, and the operating system tells the Finder to assign them the exec icon.

One file type that exhibits this orphan exec behavior is old AppleWorks .cwk files on Lion and later. Even on a machine that has Pages '09, or LibreOffice installed, either of which can open the .cwk word processing files, or other AppleWorks file types if LibreOffice alone.

The OP will not be able to open these files without the installation of the application that created them. Since the OP was recently opening these files, the question would be what application was removed, or is on an unmounted external drive?

May 26, 2018 6:47 PM in response to halynafromauckland

Files with this icon can be an actual Unix executable. But most of the time, it simply means, “I don’t know what this is.”

If the files have no extension, or recognizable Type/Creator codes, the system will treat them as unknown. Since these were on your memory card (flash drive?), you would know what app is supposed to open them.

If you know a particular file is for Microsoft Word, add the .docx extension to the file name.

How to open EXEC file on Mac and why they are appear?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.