Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why "plug in computer," from High Sierra Installer?

On the Apple Store page for installing High Sierra, the installer tells me to "plug in computer", and therefore no installation may happen. My computer *is* plugged in, a MacBook, and the green light is showing on the magnetic power adapter connector.

Albeit, the battery of the computer is not working, and the MacBook only can run when plugged into a wall socket. I have reset Power Management Unit (PMU), System Management Controller (SMC) and cleared P-Ram, many times.

The computer works fine, and the High Sierra Installer is being too much of a nanny, and is refusing to be installed on a perfectly good computer. I've been using Mac since 1989, and never had such a rejection.

MacBook, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on May 27, 2018 7:52 AM

6 replies

May 28, 2018 6:19 AM in response to el7

High Sierra requires that a firmware update be accomplished before installation. Firmware updates require the power connected to prevent power failure while the update happens. If there is a failure while it is updating, it might make the Mac unusable.

If your battery is malfunctioning, it will interfere with the Mac detecting the connection to the power supply.

If your battery is removable, remove it and leave the Mac plugged into the power supply.

May 28, 2018 8:54 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, Barney.

Exactly my point. The warnings for plugging in the computer during installation of Mac OSes appeared in the 2000s, but still would let the installation proceed at the user's risk.

Now the nanny installer will not let the user proceed. No, my battery is not removable. This means I cannot update to High Sierra, which is a first for anyone using Macs since the 1980s. It would be like parents insisting their kid wear a helmet to ride a bike, but the helmet weighs 300 pounds. No more bike riding for the kid -- or my Mac.

May 28, 2018 9:02 AM in response to el7

Exactly my point. The warnings for plugging in the computer during installation of Mac OSes appeared in the 2000s, but still would let the installation proceed at the user's risk.

You didn't seem to understand. All the previous OS installs did not include a firmware update. Firmware updates have always required the Mac to be connected to power because of the danger. There is no similar danger for an OS upgrade.

May 28, 2018 11:40 AM in response to el7

Wow! Serious stuff. How many times in the future do you think an otherwise "normal" upgrade will include the dreaded "firmware" update that has never happened in the history of computing? Us users should be warned!

Probably as many times as Apple finds it necessary. So, far it only appears to have happened once or twice.

Usually, firmware updates are distributed separately, and they only affect certain hardware. In this case, High Sierra's changes required a firmware update for every Mac.

I assume this one was because of the new File System, APFS, allowing the Mac to boot from an APFS drive.

Why "plug in computer," from High Sierra Installer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.