Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cable needed to download software from Mac 21 in.-2011 to MacBook Pro 13 in.- 2017

Cable needed to Transfer Software

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Outlook is presently my default

Posted on May 27, 2018 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2018 1:56 PM

The first thing is that it depends on a) the version/age of your Word app and b) the license - you may not be able to use it on a new OS as it may not be compatible or the license can't be used on another computer. So, check your Word version and see if the system requirements say it's compatible with your new OS; also check and see if the license can be used again. And, make sure that if you need a newer version of the Word app it can read the docs created with the old version.

You do not need a cable or transfer anything for your printer. When you hook it up to the new Mac, simply go to System Preferences > Printers + Scanners and click on the + sign to add it. It should then download/install the drivers needed....... unless it is too old and not compatible with the new OS either. I just checked and it appears to be ok as there is a driver listed for OS 10.13 which you can download manually if the OS doesn't do it for you automatically.

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/Epson-Stylus-Series/Epson-Stylus- NX430/s/SPT_C11CB22201?review-filter=macOS+10.13.x

Now, as far as your files/documents are concerned, you should be able to use the screen sharing method or try a less troublesome way which would be to use a USB stick or external USB hard drive, plug it into the old Mac and drag/drop your files onto it. Then plug it into the new one and copy over your stuff.

FWIW, the easiest way to to connect two Macs would be with Firewire; if your old one has it, then all you'd need is a FW > Thunderbolt adapter and plug that into the new one. Using that, you could use Migration Assistant.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2018 1:56 PM in response to MaryBlack

The first thing is that it depends on a) the version/age of your Word app and b) the license - you may not be able to use it on a new OS as it may not be compatible or the license can't be used on another computer. So, check your Word version and see if the system requirements say it's compatible with your new OS; also check and see if the license can be used again. And, make sure that if you need a newer version of the Word app it can read the docs created with the old version.

You do not need a cable or transfer anything for your printer. When you hook it up to the new Mac, simply go to System Preferences > Printers + Scanners and click on the + sign to add it. It should then download/install the drivers needed....... unless it is too old and not compatible with the new OS either. I just checked and it appears to be ok as there is a driver listed for OS 10.13 which you can download manually if the OS doesn't do it for you automatically.

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/Epson-Stylus-Series/Epson-Stylus- NX430/s/SPT_C11CB22201?review-filter=macOS+10.13.x

Now, as far as your files/documents are concerned, you should be able to use the screen sharing method or try a less troublesome way which would be to use a USB stick or external USB hard drive, plug it into the old Mac and drag/drop your files onto it. Then plug it into the new one and copy over your stuff.

FWIW, the easiest way to to connect two Macs would be with Firewire; if your old one has it, then all you'd need is a FW > Thunderbolt adapter and plug that into the new one. Using that, you could use Migration Assistant.

May 27, 2018 9:07 AM in response to MaryBlack

If you can get each of these Macs onto the Internet without re-cabling, you already have a connection between them -- through the local SWITCH function of your Router (this does not use the Internet).

System preferences > Sharing > File Sharing...

... will immediately allow access to this folder on each Mac:

/Users/<Main-user>Public Folder

... and if you work harder, you can get access to additional folders such as:

/Users/Shared

May 27, 2018 12:10 PM in response to babowa

Thanks so much for attempting to help the helpless!!! I have never used cables to transfer files, etc. I have a new MacBook 2017 and want to transfer the software and my files from Word from old Mac Desktop 2011, and use my old Epson Stylus 430 Printer. I have tried to get help but live in a small community. Asked people at Apple call line and Best Buy Geek person and they told(sold) me cables that will not work. I have read for hours on the net and have learned some, but still cannot be for sure what I need to accomplish these tasks. I feel very stupid at the moment.

MacBook Pro 2017 13 inch with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports

iMac Desktop 2011 21 inch with multiple ports

Want to transfer by Migration Assistant the Word Software on old Mac and all the documents from that program over to MacBook

Want to set up the Epson Stylus 430 Printer from old Mac to MacBook for use with it.

Seems like a simple thing, but this cable business has been most frustrating

Thank you so very much for any help you can give me. MB

May 27, 2018 6:33 PM in response to babowa

THANK YOU!!! Ohh,how easy it was to do as you suggested. The printer is working perfectly and the transfer of the Word documents is clearly understood and will do that in the morning. I do so appreciate your taking the time to go through these things which I know must seem so obvious and elementary. I am grateful to you for this help. I am delighted to have these things done and out of the way. Most sincerely, Mary Black Davis

Cable needed to download software from Mac 21 in.-2011 to MacBook Pro 13 in.- 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.