Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini will not wake from sleep

Since updating to high sierra, mac mini will not wake from sleep if it goes to sleep on it's own. If I put it to sleep, it responds ok.

But if the mini goes to sleep on it's ow, often I have to shut down. Will not wake.

Mac mini, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 27, 2018 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2018 10:42 AM

A few things come to mind that you should try.

1. Test it with the Auto Sleep timer set for a longer period of time or set it to Never.

if your Energy Saver has sliders for Display and Computer Sleep, set Computer Sleep to Never.

if your Energy Saver has only one slider, set it to Never.

2. If you run the Screen Saver prior to Auto Sleep, try disabling the Screen Saver.

the Screen Saver can be a problem for systems that are running low on RAM or Disk Space.

3. If you use a Bluetooth Keyboard, Mouse or Trackpad, check the Bluetooth > Advanced settings to make sure that "Allow Bluetooth device to wake this computer"is checked.

see > Using a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, or trackpad with your Mac - Apple Support

and/or > macOS Sierra: Wake your Mac with a wireless keyboard, mouse, or trackpad

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2018 10:42 AM in response to thirbo

A few things come to mind that you should try.

1. Test it with the Auto Sleep timer set for a longer period of time or set it to Never.

if your Energy Saver has sliders for Display and Computer Sleep, set Computer Sleep to Never.

if your Energy Saver has only one slider, set it to Never.

2. If you run the Screen Saver prior to Auto Sleep, try disabling the Screen Saver.

the Screen Saver can be a problem for systems that are running low on RAM or Disk Space.

3. If you use a Bluetooth Keyboard, Mouse or Trackpad, check the Bluetooth > Advanced settings to make sure that "Allow Bluetooth device to wake this computer"is checked.

see > Using a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, or trackpad with your Mac - Apple Support

and/or > macOS Sierra: Wake your Mac with a wireless keyboard, mouse, or trackpad

May 27, 2018 4:16 PM in response to thirbo

You may see if Safe mode on startup can help you access the machine, as it

will load a reduced system and may be helpful to further troubleshoot, then.

• Use Safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Some files are checked/repaired in Safe mode, and to retest after any changes

you have to restart normally in order to get out of Safe mode. Note system logs

and crash reports, etc as they may contain hints. Or piles of curious normal info.

And log-in using Admin PW is often required to access Safe mode.

User uploaded file

May 27, 2018 5:08 PM in response to thirbo

While there may not be an actual 'crash' per usual windows experience, there may be a report.

In Safe mode, you can check and change some items. Third party extensions and software bits

may be the cause of an unexpected shutdown. There is a method on how to use Safe mode.

A good overview of what is going on in a Mac, can be had by getting Etrecheck and run the item

as it will generate a report; this report can be uploaded to your Apple support discussion page.

Etrecheck information:

https://etrecheck.com/faq

https://etrecheck.com/index

This utility was created by a long term Mac user and contributor to these ASC discussions.

Recent developments have caused him to revise this tool, use it sparingly; after 5 free runs,

there is a cost to get the more complete Etrecheck tool. ~ I've had and used this, as well as

another one also by a contributor to ASC; the MalwareBytes for Mac which formerly went by

the name AdwareMedic. This also evolved from freeware with DIY troubleshooting methods.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Without any helpful tool, you can look around to become familiar with the inner sanctum but

usually most stuff will not mean much. Those 'cleaner apps' should be steered clear of due to

the fact they can remove parts of the macOS and don't discriminate between good & bad.

You could look in System profile or report page (loads from About This Mac) and choose from

buttons beneath main 'topside menu' sections; & should open separate window & application.

Mine says "System Information" for that window and co-launched utiity/application. Logs and

other stuff can be read from this accumulative source.

Your 'second window' may be called by another name in latest macOS. I'm running 10.11.6 in my

Late 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.3GHz quad-core (server.) This also dual-boots into 10.9.5 original OS X.

First HDD is partitioned for two OS X, the second HDD has 2 partitions and contains no systems.

If you have a complete backup (and perhaps duplicate/clone or copy of older system on externally

enclosed hard drive) you could use those to further troubleshoot. ~ Complex interactions within or

between various software may make a system unstable. Items from different makers; or the use of

unnecessary antivirus, etc can cause issues.

In these different older systems, some items do the same things, while appear by different name.

(El Capitan is stable and does what I need; I have older G4 Mac mini with 10.5.8 for vintage apps.)

There also are more technical methods that require deeper understanding of how macOS works

such as command-line and single-user, terminal utility among other access points under the GUI.

Perhaps someone else may help you; as I've got many offline issues & problems to solve right now.

Sorry to not have a specific set of steps to troubleshoot. Sometimes you have to be prepared and

be able to fully install the system over again; with several backups of different types..

{Try the preceding ideas as there may be some answers in there; no one had add to

this thread when I began a reply. ~ And I've had issues with this site today.}

User uploaded file

Mac mini will not wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.