Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac OS high sierra on 2014 macbook pro

should I upgrade to high sierra, or to sierra with this machine?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 8GB memory, 18GB avail storage

Posted on May 28, 2018 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2018 9:23 AM

I have the same specs on my late 2013 MacBook Pro, only I use OS X Yosemite. My main concern is with system slowness and other issues because of apple's planned obsolescence.

Why do people buy into that crap?

I'm running it on a 2010 MBP and a 2012 Mini. No slowness. No problems.

I also don't install crapware that causes instability and various other problems.

Crapware = anything that purports to clean, optimize, protect, monitor, or otherwise maintain a Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2018 9:23 AM in response to Userless

I have the same specs on my late 2013 MacBook Pro, only I use OS X Yosemite. My main concern is with system slowness and other issues because of apple's planned obsolescence.

Why do people buy into that crap?

I'm running it on a 2010 MBP and a 2012 Mini. No slowness. No problems.

I also don't install crapware that causes instability and various other problems.

Crapware = anything that purports to clean, optimize, protect, monitor, or otherwise maintain a Mac.

May 28, 2018 9:36 AM in response to batz18mac

Only you can answer that question.

Do you need the features of High Sierra?

Do you need the security changes incorporated in High Sierra?

Are you willing to abandon software that won't work in High Sierra?

Are you willing to abandon system modifications that you mistakenly think may help protect, clean, optimize, or otherwise maintain your Mac?

If you answer Yes to all of those, you shouldn't have any concern with upgrading to High Sierra.

Upgrading macOS without fear

May 28, 2018 9:36 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have the same specs on my late 2013 MacBook Pro, only I use OS X Yosemite. My main concern is with system slowness and other issues because of apple's planned obsolescence. I don't need any of the new features but been advised to update for security reasons.

I've learned to dislike updates as I've seen how buggy apple systems can get, especially iphones...

Anyway any sad stories of old macs being irremediably ruined??

mac OS high sierra on 2014 macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.