Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should I upgrade to high sierra

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro running Sierra. Should I upgrade to High Sierra?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Aug 24, 2018 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2018 7:48 PM

Since Mojave will be released this fall, you may want to wait for that one - just an idea. On the other hand, I would suggest that you at least download the High Sierra installer and park it somewhere safe just in case you want it at some point since Apple withdraws any older OS as soon as a new one is released.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2018 7:48 PM in response to donaldfromdothan

Since Mojave will be released this fall, you may want to wait for that one - just an idea. On the other hand, I would suggest that you at least download the High Sierra installer and park it somewhere safe just in case you want it at some point since Apple withdraws any older OS as soon as a new one is released.

Aug 24, 2018 10:43 PM in response to donaldfromdothan

You should, since High Sierra brings the important APFS update. APFS is much faster and safer than the original Apple HPS Version.

Edit: Also Consider @babowa's statement

"Since Mojave will be released this fall, you may want to wait for that one - just an idea. On the other hand, I would suggest that you at least download the High Sierra installer and park it somewhere safe just in case you want it at some point since Apple withdraws any older OS as soon as a new one is released."

But i'm pretty sure Apple won't withdraw support for older OSX

Aug 24, 2018 10:55 PM in response to the_supporter

There is a difference between support and available downloads.

I didn't say they will withdraw support, I did say that HS will no longer be available for download. Apple has withdrawn every OS from the app store once a new OS was introduced and they've done that since Lion was replaced years ago.

So, unless you've downloaded an OS version previously so it will always show in your Purchases section, you will no longer be able to download HS after Mojave is introduced.

Aug 25, 2018 8:00 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Yes, as far as I know, that was done to accommodate users with older machines (mostly with Snow Leopard) whose devices cannot handle the latest OS. The OP has a 2017. And, unless you have never downloaded either EC or Sierra, there is no way to test it because they will show for you when you sign into the app store - I can't test it.

should I upgrade to high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.