Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages not Syncing Properly

Hi, I got a new MacBook and the iMessages aren't syncing correctly. I've gone through all the settings and guides I can google but I can't fix it.
Firstly, I'm trying to iMessage with a phone I had no problem with on my old MacBook, but now it won't work. It keeps sending them in green bubbles even though it is saying iMessage, and every now and then the message will come up in grey as if I have received it even though I just sent it, with the message above reading '(Null) my email address' above it.
I have no idea what is happening or how to fix it. I've gone through all the syncing processes on both my Mac and iPhone but nothing is working.
Please help!

I'm using the latest High Sierra.

Posted on May 28, 2018 10:31 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

May 28, 2018 12:15 PM in response to evel0uise

HI,

Quick revision.

On the iPhone go the Settings Messages and Enable the app.

Also Enable the SMS option.

Make sure in the WiFi setting the iPhone is on the same LAN as the Mac.

ON the Mac Add the Apple ID to the iMessages Settings in Messages > Preferences > Accounts.

Start a New Messages on the Mac and manually type the iPhone number in full including Country Code.

Does the iPhone get the iMessage ?

If so add the Apple ID to the Send and Receive part of the Setting on the iPhone.

At this point both devices can send and receive on either ID or iPhone Number.

If the Wifi for the iPhone has been done then the Text Forwarding can be turned ON

This create the Code Number on the Mac that has to be entered back on the iPhone.

If the Mac is getting and sending SMS then the issue is something that has happened after the set up above.

This can include the Connection to the iMessages Servers by the Mac failing for some reason and then you will only see SMS but not iMessages.

This will deteriorate as the link between Apple ID and iPhone degrades due to the Apple ID not logging in which leads to the sync failing.

Do this (When the iMessages account will not Login) if the Mac is not sending iMessages as it is not connected to the Server and the chances are your Appel ID when use on that Mac for iMessages is blocked (Other logins and services will not be effected).

User uploaded file

8:14 pm Monday; May 28, 2018

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Messages not Syncing Properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.