Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NEW MACBOOKPRO INTO OLD MAC MONITOR

CAN I PLUG A NEW MACBOOK PRO into THE OLD MAC STAND ALONE MONITOR USING SOME SORT OF AN ADAPTER USB3 TO THUNDERBOLT ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on May 28, 2018 5:09 PM

1 reply

May 29, 2018 12:17 PM in response to phunkt

Hi, phunkt,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you want to know if you can use your current display with a new MacBook Pro. I'm happy to help!

In most instances, yes--you can use an external display with your MacBook Pro. Whether the display you currently have will work, and what adapters you need to connect them, will depend on the MacBook Pro model you have, and the display you have. The Apple Support article Use multiple displays with your Mac - Apple Support gives you some basic information on using an external display, while the following video support information from MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) - Technical Specifications will let you know what types of connections a 2015-model year Retina MacBook Pro can support:

Thunderbolt digital video output

• Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters (sold separately)

If your computer is a model other than the mid-2015 Retina MacBook Pro, don't hesitate to respond back for help locating the technical specifications for your specific model. You can find out what model you have by selecting the Apple  menu > About this Mac.

Have a great day!

NEW MACBOOKPRO INTO OLD MAC MONITOR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.