Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Spinning Ball of Death - PLEASE HELP!!

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro (2011, I believe), and every time I turn on my computer (in the last 24hr), the spinning ball of death pops up. Sometimes I can access an app like Google Chrome or Microsoft Word or Text Edit before the spinning ball appears, but the most recent time, all I did was start up my computer and it froze on the spinning ball of death. When this happens, I cannot click on any other icons or apps. I cannot access "force quit" via mouse or keyboard commands. The only thing that works is a hard shutdown by pushing the power key.

If I need to just purchase a new computer, any ideas how to get my files off of the computer and onto an external hard drive?

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 28, 2018 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2018 11:22 AM

Hi isteph2.0,

Can you please run EtreCheck on your Mac and post the text report here? It's a diagnostic tool that's frequently recommended on this site for examining issues like these. EtreCheck can be downloaded for free from here: https://etrecheck.com/

Similar questions

3 replies

MacBook Pro - Spinning Ball of Death - PLEASE HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.