Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail can’t connect to gmail account when using a desktop or laptop computer.

Problem - Mail can’t connect to gmail account when using a desktop or laptop computer.

Recently I have been trying to solve this. Following are suggestions that have worked for me in the past. Some already mentioned in other forums, just thought to put it all together for convenience.

Your computer may ask you to verify your account.

What follows > System preferences> Internet Accounts stalled after signing in with your mail id. ie. You will have to hit cancel to get out as all you get is a blank window or window with “Unable to verify account name or password”. Cancel is the only choice. Therefore your problem is not solved. Below are some suggestions on how to fix the problem.

1. Do this first, it is the “simple fix” if it works.

Open Mail > Dropdown menu > Mailbox > select “ Synchronise Google”.

2. If the first suggestion is a fail, delete the account in System Preferences > Internet account. Restart your computer > System preferences > add your mail account and sign in.

This solution has worked in the past on the very rare occasion the problem has come up. Recently it seems unstable, it will work for a day or so then fail. Stability lasted longer if I ticked all the boxes eg. Calendars,Contacts etc. You may end up with no change, gmail still can’t connect, you still can’t verify your account. Go back and try Point 1 above again.

3. Still not working ? You can try to fix the problem by going to Google sign in page on your computer and work your way through the security stuff. You will need at least 1 other device as temporary codes will be sent by Google. Jump through the hoops.

Include a check on what devices are linked to your account. Like your Apple id. you can see what items are authorised. You may find your device is not listed or devices you no longer use. Go back and try Point 1 above again.

4. Some users have had success by deleting the login in Keychain Access and resubmitting the password. Go back and try Point 1 above again if no success.

The problem maybe caused by Google Security, I suspect its the 2 factor automatic verification process.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 29, 2018 12:18 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Mail can’t connect to gmail account when using a desktop or laptop computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.