Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can text messages be received/sent on iPad?

Hello,

I have a 6th generation iPad 128GB with Wifi and Cellular through AT&T. The device is upgraded to the latest iOS. I've been trying to set up the iPad to receive/send text messages to the number provided by AT&T. So far, I have been unable to do this on the iPad. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this? And if so, how would I set it up on the device? Or is it only possible to send/receive messages through the apple id?

Thanks,

Clay

iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 29, 2018 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2018 9:59 AM

Only iMessages can be sent and received on an iPad without using an iPhone and enabling text message forwarding from the iPhone to the iPad. The phone number assigned to the device has no bearing on the ability to make calls with the device.

Without an iPhone you can only text with iMessage using your Apple ID email address or another email address.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2018 9:59 AM in response to csnowicki

Only iMessages can be sent and received on an iPad without using an iPhone and enabling text message forwarding from the iPhone to the iPad. The phone number assigned to the device has no bearing on the ability to make calls with the device.

Without an iPhone you can only text with iMessage using your Apple ID email address or another email address.

May 29, 2018 10:02 AM in response to csnowicki

No. The number issued to an iPad by your carrier is only used for Billing and ID purposes. It is not an actual call and text number.

An iPad on its own cannot send or receive SMS text messages, nor make cellular calls. It only uses the cellular connection for Data access (internet) but does not use the Voice & Text channel like a phone would.

If you have an iPhone you can link it to, it can make use of the Voice and Text channel on that iPhone to send and receive SMS text messages and make cellular calls via Continuity.

See here: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Without a linked iPhone, it can only send iMessages to other Apple devices.

About iMessage and SMS/MMS - Apple Support

Can text messages be received/sent on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.