Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Mid 2011 App / iTunes Store Problem

Hi,

I am trying to connect to the App Store on my iMac Mid 2011 with 12GB RAM and it keeps coming up with "Cannot Connect to the App Store - An Internet connection is required". The Internet is fine as I am currently typing this, but it is also not connecting to the iTune Store and coming up with the message "iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store. An unknown error occurred (-9836). - Make sure you network connection is active and try again."

I have tried everything on this link

If you can't connect to the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, or App Store - Apple Support

But as I can't get on the App Store, I can't upgrade the MacOS so tried everything on this one as well

https://appuals.com/cannot-connect-to-the-app-store/

But no luck!! From what I've read in various forums, hopefully an upgrade to MacOS Sierra would sort the problem, but I can't find a download link that doesn't go to the App Store. Does anyone have one? or any other solution they could suggest?

Thanks in Advance

A very frustrated, Dan :-/

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 27" iMac on OSX 10.8.5

Posted on May 29, 2018 2:19 PM

6 replies

May 30, 2018 12:21 PM in response to danielpeterharrison

Hi all,

I have just come off a 2 hour chat with Apple!! and this is now a known problem and they have eventually booked me in for Genius Bar appointment so I can go and get a copy of 10.12 Sierra (but have a feeling they will try and give me High Sierra), even though that was the first thing I suggested and they said it wasn't possible. I was initially told I can only get it off the App Store and they couldn't provide me with any dropbox, WeTransfer type links.

My appointment is at 11.30am Saturday morning (UK time) and they have told me just to take a USB stick in with at least 12Gb, so will keep you informed of what happens :-)

It looks like Apple have broken something major or have done this on purpose to make everyone upgrade to newer software!!

Cheers for you help :-)

Dan

May 30, 2018 1:32 PM in response to danielpeterharrison

My appointment is at 11.30am Saturday morning and they have told me just to take a USB stick in with at least 12Gb

They will make the USB Flash drive into a bootable installer disk with macOS, which you can use at home to start up from, and then install macOS onto that iMac. Then you have a a functional installer, without having used the Mac App Store.

iMac Mid 2011 App / iTunes Store Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.