Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS system files taking too much space

Hi

I have a 2013 build MacBook Air with 8gb RAM and 250gb SSD. I'm running MacOS High Sierra 1.13.4.

Recently I started getting notifications saying my disc was nearly full. I have everything set up to run on iCloud, where I have over 40gb free.

Under About This Mac, Storage, it shows System taking 233.5gb. This seems excessive, to say the least.

I've used MacKeeper to clean up the disc and I've tried restarts, neither helped.

Is there a simple way to fix this?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 29, 2018 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2018 1:42 PM

I've used MacKeeper to clean up the disc …

Well, good luck, then. You may find you have other problems in the future.

Some people have found stuck log files causing the bloat. The logs should be rotated periodically, cleaning up the old, but every once in a while they just keep growing.

Use Omni DiskSweeper to look at the drive and see what is using the most space. That may highlight something like a bloated log file or other such stuff that is being reported as "System."

Also note that the Storage display is often wrong, miscategorizing things, making it almost useless to use.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2018 1:42 PM in response to Mark.Daisy

I've used MacKeeper to clean up the disc …

Well, good luck, then. You may find you have other problems in the future.

Some people have found stuck log files causing the bloat. The logs should be rotated periodically, cleaning up the old, but every once in a while they just keep growing.

Use Omni DiskSweeper to look at the drive and see what is using the most space. That may highlight something like a bloated log file or other such stuff that is being reported as "System."

Also note that the Storage display is often wrong, miscategorizing things, making it almost useless to use.

MacOS system files taking too much space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.