Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade mac mini duo 2 core

For a variety of reasons, and with my prodding, my office is considering converting all users from Windows to Mac. First, I would like to get a test platform to check out the effort and compatibility of such a change. I have the opportunity to get an inexpensive duo 2 core 2.0GHz mini with 2GB of memory, model is apparently A1283 (P7350) from early 2009 with OSX Leopard. I assume I can upgrade the 120G hard drive if I want. Can I up upgrade to 8GB of memory? Can I upgrade to High Sierra?

Thanks

Mac mini

Posted on May 29, 2018 8:08 PM

10 replies

May 30, 2018 6:34 AM in response to Rudegar

Your link 'macOS High Sierra - Technical Specifications' says I need a mac mini mid-2010 or later, 2GB of memory and OS X 10.8 or higher. The mid-2010 mac mini has a Core 2 Duo, like the 2009 model, and 2GB of memory. This site, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini, says I can expand the memory in the A1283 model to 8G, "4G supported by Apple" (not sure what that "supported by Apple" bit means). Hardware-wise, it seems that I should be OK for High Sierra, although the aforementioned link says mid-2010. In fact, I don't see much difference in the hardware specs between 2009 and mid-2010 except the 2010 processor is running at 2.66GHz instead of 2.0GHz and the OS is 10.6.4 instead of 10.5.6. According to the Wikipedia link, 10.5.6 (Leopard) is upgradable to 10.11 (El Capitan).

This link, https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/, says I should be able to upgrade from Leopard to High Sierra by first upgrading to El Capitan.

woodmeister50: Yes, I'm trying to avoid completely wasting my time, but for testing I don't need something very powerful (although I do need the latest OS version). I'm willing to take a risk to try what I've asked about. I can get a refurb mac mini for $130. Even if it doesn't work out, I'm not out much money. Seems worth the risk to me unless experts in this community tell me it can't be done for thus-and-so reasons.

Jun 4, 2018 10:06 AM in response to markfoley

If you are looking to set things up for a business, you may want to

start with this:

Business - Apple

And talk with Apple directly as to business related licensing, purchasing, etc.

Besides, they work with businesses like any other business via purchase orders

or other financial setups and arrangements that are separate from the consumer world.

As for the credit card thing, since the AppleID sets up an account for all Apple

services and stores, the card is needed. I think part of it is also to make sure

you are who you are and your not working on hacking a stolen Mac.

May 31, 2018 8:01 PM in response to markfoley

OK, I've decided to upgrade a bit to a mid-2010 mini which, according to rudegar's link, will support the upgrade to High Sierra. This one also comes with 4G memory and 320G hard drive and 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo -- a significantly more capable machine for only $30 more. I doubt I'll need to upgrade anything for testing purposes. When I get it I'll see what I can do getting it to High Sierra and post results.

Jun 4, 2018 9:54 AM in response to markfoley

Mission accomplished! I had a bit of a delayed start because the fellow I bought the mini from forgot to ship the power cord, but it was only $9 at the local computer store. I've got it upgraded to High Sierra, but rudegar is right, I'll be needing more memory. It is significantly and painfully slower with High Sierra than it was with the original Snow Leopard, although it seems that the more an application is used the faster the response gets (caching?).

One last question on this topic. Before I could upgrade I had to register a credit card with my Apple ID. Is this always needed for Mac computers? Really? Do all school, university and business Mac shops have a credit card registered with each of their users/workstations? This will likely be an issue with my lobbying my office to convert to Mac. I'm rather astounded at this. Are people without credit cards simply out of luck with respect to getting a Mac? How about Third World sales?

Upgrade mac mini duo 2 core

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.