Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make an install disk for tiger 10.4?

I already have the software, 10.4, but cant figure out how to make a disk with it... Any suggestions? Im making it for a iMac G3.

Posted on May 30, 2018 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2018 5:27 AM

you wish to make a safe CD copy of tiger (4 CD) if I understand correctly.

you could do that using the Disk Utility in the Applications/Utility file.

in the left column should appear all your available volumes.

mount the installation disc by clicking on it in the finder and the DMG image should be in that column

select it and choose new image, and make a copy on your hardrive

....this should take some time

next step: copy your image on another CD following a similar process

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2018 5:27 AM in response to DJ_MiNi_MoTo

you wish to make a safe CD copy of tiger (4 CD) if I understand correctly.

you could do that using the Disk Utility in the Applications/Utility file.

in the left column should appear all your available volumes.

mount the installation disc by clicking on it in the finder and the DMG image should be in that column

select it and choose new image, and make a copy on your hardrive

....this should take some time

next step: copy your image on another CD following a similar process

Jun 8, 2018 9:07 AM in response to DJ_MiNi_MoTo

Short answer = you can't - Apple produced disks have attributes that cannot be copied

-- this article explains the difficulties with Tiger install disks --

The ability to install, reinstall, or upgrade to Tiger remains important, but it is increasingly difficult. Mac OS X 10.4 install discs have been discontinued by Apple and are no longer sold at retail. Finding an installer requires buying a new or used copy from a reseller – or borrowing a copy from a friend, consultant, or other Mac user.*

To increase the challenge, there are different versions of the Tiger installer for PowerPC and Intel Macs. Apple never released a Universal Binary of the full installer, instead releasing separate PowerPC and Intel versions. Some later updates were available as Universal Binaries, but not the full OS installers.

Every Mac sold during the Tiger era came bundled with a grey Mac OS X installer DVD. These discs will reinstall the OS on that model of Macintosh, but they may not work with other Macs using the same processor. There is (I’m sure) an underlying consistency to what discs will work with what models based on system architecture, but these relations are often not user discernible. On practical level, it’s usually a trial-and-error process if you don’t have the right disc.

On the PowerPC side, the situation is easier. Apple sold several versions of Tiger at retail, culminating with a 10.4.6 full install DVD. These discs will work on all supported models of PowerPC Macs and are the best ones to have or try to find via resellers. The bundled install discs that came with G4 and G5 Macs do not work across the board on all models – again trial-and-error.

http://lowendmac.com/2009/tips-for-installing-or-reinstalling-mac-os-x-10-4-tige r/

How can I make an install disk for tiger 10.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.