Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7th G Nano - How to turn "off" shuffle. I want to listen to all my songs alphabetically.

I can't seem to stop the shuffle!

iPod nano (7th generation)

Posted on May 31, 2018 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2018 12:52 PM

If you tap the Shuffle button, that precisely what it will do.

1. First of all, make sure that you have Shake to shuffle turned off, it's in the Settings menu
  2. Then go to your alphabetical list of songs
  3. Tap on the first song

At the end of the first song, the second one on the list should play.

Do not tap the Shuffle button.

You can also tap the Now Playing screen to bring up the controls overlay, which also includes the shuffle icon:

User uploaded file

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2018 12:52 PM in response to marthafromlaramie

If you tap the Shuffle button, that precisely what it will do.

1. First of all, make sure that you have Shake to shuffle turned off, it's in the Settings menu
  2. Then go to your alphabetical list of songs
  3. Tap on the first song

At the end of the first song, the second one on the list should play.

Do not tap the Shuffle button.

You can also tap the Now Playing screen to bring up the controls overlay, which also includes the shuffle icon:

User uploaded file

Jun 3, 2018 6:16 PM in response to marthafromlaramie

Perhaps you have powered off the nano completely, rather than just put it to sleep.

• To put the iPod to sleep, press-and-release the sleep/wake button (on the top edge)
  • To wake it up, press-and-release the sleep/wake button
  • To power off the iPod completely, press-and-hold the sleep/wake button until the display turns off
  • To start the iPod up again from completely off, press-and-hold the sleep/wake button until the display turns on. It may take a few moments before the iPod is ready to use

If that doesn't work, try a Reset.

To reset the iPod, press-and-hold the sleep/wake button and the Home button (yes, at the same time) for six seconds. The iPod should display the Apple logo and begin a re-start procedure, after which it will be ready to use.

A Reset will not remove or delete your music from the iPod.

User uploaded file

Lastly, if the battery has drained completely (for any reason), it will not respond, so then you will need to plug it into a power supply (obviously). In this situation, it may take up to thirty minutes before the iPod responds.

Jun 1, 2018 6:30 PM in response to marthafromlaramie

Greetings marthafromlaramie,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you're curious how to disable the shuffle with your iPod nano. Being able to listen to music in your desired order is important for many reasons, so I can definitely understand wanting to clear this up!

The iPod nano user guide offers helpful information for using the Shuffle feature: iPod nano User Guide

Specifically, on page 19 it mentions the different ways to use Shuffle:
  • Shuffle and play all of your songs: Tap Shuffle at the top of the Songs list. iPod nano begins playing songs from your iPod nano music library in random order, skipping audiobooks, podcasts, and iTunes U collections.
  • Shuffle songs from the Now Playing screen: Tap the screen, then tap the Shuffle symbol
  • Use "Shake to Shuffle": When the screen is on, you can give iPod nano a quick shake to skip to a random song. If the screen is off, press the Sleep/Wake button before you shake. “Shake to Shuffle” is on by default, but you can turn it off in Settings > Music.

Let me know if tapping the Shuffle option at the top of the Songs list helps to disable the Shuffle for you.

Cheers!

Jun 3, 2018 2:56 PM in response to the fiend

Maybe you can help me again. I was so happy to listen to my songs in order this morning. I was done walking and pressed the button on bottom. It just shut off completely. I had charged it the day before, but hooked it all up and absolutely nothing. This happened on an older one and I think the battery just died. This nano is maybe two years old. Is this what it does when it's dead? Thank you again.

7th G Nano - How to turn "off" shuffle. I want to listen to all my songs alphabetically.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.