Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I restore an older iOS backup onto a device running a newer version?

Hey Guys,

I've got an iPhone 5s, which I am updating to the latest version of iOS 11, which, as of today, is 11.4.

After I update, I plan to back up all my data, and completely erase the iPhone. I'll do a fresh start then.

My questions are:

1. Say Apple releases a new update to iOS 11. (Something like 11.4.1, per se) After updating my phone, can I restore the 11.4 backup?

2. Say they released a new iOS. Like iOS 12. Now can I restore my backup from iOS 11.4?

3. Off Topic: Are my photos stored in the backup file along with the other data, or must I back them up using the Photos App?

As this question deals with data, Kindly refrain from answering if you are unfamiliar with the process.

btw: I've seen posts from years ago about how some of these are possible, but there seem to be many scenarios which confuse me. Moreover, backup rules might have changed over the past 7 years.

Thanks Guys!

-Matt

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 5:07 PM

1. Yes. You can restore a backup made with an earlier iOS version to a device running a newer iOS version without any issues.

2. Yes. You should be able to. Note that restoring the backup will not put iOS 11.4 back on your device. It will keep the iOS version it has.

3. It depends. If you are using iCloud Photo Library they are not part of the backup. If you are not using iCloud Photo Library, then just make sure Photo Library is turned on for the backup at: Settings->Account(top of Settings)->iCloud->Manage Storage->Backups->Your iPhone->Photo Library, and they will then be included in the backup.

Details here:

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2018 5:07 PM in response to Matt_Raj

1. Yes. You can restore a backup made with an earlier iOS version to a device running a newer iOS version without any issues.

2. Yes. You should be able to. Note that restoring the backup will not put iOS 11.4 back on your device. It will keep the iOS version it has.

3. It depends. If you are using iCloud Photo Library they are not part of the backup. If you are not using iCloud Photo Library, then just make sure Photo Library is turned on for the backup at: Settings->Account(top of Settings)->iCloud->Manage Storage->Backups->Your iPhone->Photo Library, and they will then be included in the backup.

Details here:

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Jun 3, 2018 5:34 PM in response to Matt_Raj

1. & 2. You can always restore a backup made with an earlier version to an iOS device with a newer version of iOS. So the answer is yes. You cannot go the other way; that is, you cannot restore, say, a backup made under 11.4.1 to a device running 11.4.

3. Go to Settings - tap on your name - tap on iCloud. If you enable iCloud Photos by turning the Photos switch on, your photos will not be saved in your backup; instead they will be saved in iCloud Photos. However, if the switch is off, then photos will be saved in the backup. This is so you don't need double the space in iCloud. The same is true for all of the other switches under iCloud settings. Anything that is ON will not be included in the backup.

Can I restore an older iOS backup onto a device running a newer version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.