Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 8 bluetooth keeps disconnecting

My iPhone 8 can't maintain a bluetooth connection with my car handsfree telephone, nor with my bluetooth headphones.

I have tried all the resetting and re-pairing suggestions from the help pages and nothing works. I have updated to iOS 11.4

In the case of the headphones this is a nuisance, but for the car phone it is a major problem.

Please don't just send me to the usual bluetooth re-pairing advice. I've tried all of that. My devices all pair successfully without disconnecting from my iPad. This is an iPhone 8 problem.

Are Apple working on a fix for this?

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 1:03 AM

7 replies

Jun 4, 2018 11:35 AM in response to Calib@n

No, Apple are not working on a fix for the problem with your phone. It is a problem with your phone, not for all phones, or even a tiny minority of phones. It is your phone that has the problem. As you said you don't want any suggestions on how to fix it I won't give you any, except to make an appointment at a genius bar and have the phone looked at: Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jun 4, 2018 12:49 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

OK, I probably deserved that but I was feeling rather frustrated when I typed. 😊

I see lots of other threads on the communities with people describing the same problem that I am experiencing with the 8.

I've looked at lots of help pages talking me through the process of forgetting bluetooth devices, turning off bluetooth on the phone, rebooting the phone, re-pairing the devices and trying again. And I have followed all the instructions with the same result.

The connection appears stable until i actually try to use the connection i.e. listen to audio on the headphones, or make/receive a call on the car handsfree, and then the bluetooth turns off by itself.

All of these devices worked perfectly with my 6s.

I spent some time online with Apple support today and they did the remote diagnostics on my phone and said it was all fine and they couldn't find any problems.

So I am open to suggestions including the Genius bar.

Jun 4, 2018 2:58 PM in response to Calib@n

Have you tried settings/general/reset - reset network settings? this will erase your Wi-Fi passwords, but won't result in any other data loss.

Do you have an app that controls other devices (so-called "IoT" - Internet of Things) such as Bluetooth security? Or especially the Tile app (Find Your Keys, Wallet & Phone with Tile’s App and Bluetooth Tracker Device | Tile)? iOS (actually the Bluetooth standard) can only support 7 simultaneous Bluetooth connections at a time, and apps like these can use up all of those connections quickly. Tile is the worst offender. So try turning off any apps you have like this. This is is a common problem with AirPods and the Tile app.

Jun 4, 2018 3:04 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes. I had tried the Reset Network settings option as suggested on the help pages. For a few minutes it seemed to have worked and I had a stable connection to my headphones but then it started disconnecting and turning off the bluetooth again.

I don't have Tile or IoT devices or Apps. Just two sets of headphones and the car handsfree. I used "Forget this device" for both of the headphones in the hopes that the car system would be ok by itself (not that the headphones are in the car) but that didn't work either.

Guess I'm headed for the Genius bar, but thanks for your suggestions.

Jun 14, 2018 7:12 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. 😊

It was the phone all along. The Wifi stopped working as well! Luckily I already had an appointment at the Genius bar where it took them two minutes to diagnose that the phone was kaput and to give me another one on warranty.

It did take me another 20 minutes using the free apple WiFi to download iOs11.4 so that I could restore the phone from an iCloud backup. Note to self, next time write down wife's number before the tech erases my old phone so I can call her to say I'm finished and arrange to meet up for lunch!

Anyway, Mr Finch was correct. It was the phone, the new one seems fine. If you have the Bluetooth problem then go to the apple store.

Cheers!

iphone 8 bluetooth keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.