Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 bluetooth issues

My new iPhone 8 is having all kinds of wonkiness with bluetooth. It refused to pair with my AirPods, repeatedly dropped connection to my 2016 car, routinely loses connection with my series 1 watch and refused to connect to unlock my laptop (all things that I had no issues with before moving over from my iPhone 6). Apple support told me to erase all content, reset and go through a reinstall from a backup (and all the password re-entry etc.) which I did wasting a couple hours of my day. Their remote diagnostic said bluetooth was fine and some of my apps (none to be named) had problems necessitating this restoration from backup. Needless to say, the issue does not seem solved. Anyone else having bluetooth issues with the iPhone 8? All of these bluetooth connectivity issues worked flawlessly on the 6 (with iOS11 and all prior iterations I had) so I may just sent the 8 back and live w/ my 3 year old battery for a while longer.....

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 10:29 PM

I have also had problems with the Bluetooth on the iPhone 8. Cannot keep connectivity with my hands free speaker for my phone in my truck. I had a Motorola Roadster 2. I could not keep the phone connected to the Roadster. I bought a Jabra Freeway and same issues. The Roadster worked fine with my 7, same operating system, iOS 11. Something is wrong with the 8’s Bluetooth. The Roadster works fine with my wife’s iPhone 7.

245 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2017 10:29 PM in response to Rayloriure

I have also had problems with the Bluetooth on the iPhone 8. Cannot keep connectivity with my hands free speaker for my phone in my truck. I had a Motorola Roadster 2. I could not keep the phone connected to the Roadster. I bought a Jabra Freeway and same issues. The Roadster worked fine with my 7, same operating system, iOS 11. Something is wrong with the 8’s Bluetooth. The Roadster works fine with my wife’s iPhone 7.

Oct 6, 2017 9:53 AM in response to Rayloriure

i have the same issue on my iPhone 8 plus and after contacting apple support, I was told to do a backup and factory reset my phone, which I did. After restoring my data from the backup, I am still having the same issues. It connects to my Bluetooth devices but loses connection and re-connects all the time ( my devices are: Huawei smart watch, 2017 car, Samsung Bluetooth headphones, Miband).

before iPhone 8 , i had an iphone 7 which had no issues until i updated the OS to iOS 11, which makes me think that this is a iOS issue and not iPhone 8 specific.

Oct 8, 2017 3:06 PM in response to Rayloriure

My iPhone 5 would automatically know I was in my car and connect with my bluetooth radio. I just got an iPhone 8 and the bluetooth is working like crap. I installed the latest update to iOS 11 and it still won't automatically connect to my radio in my car. I need to go into Settings and manually tell it to connect. It never works the first time, it fails and I need to tell it to connect again. After the second try it will connect (usually), but I can't guarantee that it won't just drop the connection during a call or music. For the $900+ bucks I'm paying for this phone it should perform the basic functions my old phone did without any problems. I'm very unhappy about this. My advice to Apple is: Get the basics right before you add all the technocrap features.

Oct 6, 2017 10:00 AM in response to dadathepanda100

You got the same response from them that I did. However, my experience is slightly different; I did everything you did then, I reverted back to my iPhone 6 (running iOS 11) and had absolutely no issues with that combination. I then went to genius bar where they did diagnostics and swapped out for another iPhone 8, which has the same issue. When I pair my work iPhone 6S, no issue. When I connect via usb, no issue. I strongly believe it's a bluetooth 5 issue. I spoke to Apple again last night and they told me to take my car in for service. BMW has no information about this issue. I asked Apple and BMW to pass this on to their engineers. I've already wasted enough of my time on this. I suspect it's too early to bring my car in for a "fix" as it's unlikely they have the problem sorted yet and it would be a further waste of my time. Now I just have to decide whether it's worth keeping the phone or changing back and waiting for both systems to play well together. One day I'll learn my lesson about being and early adopter....

Oct 6, 2017 11:35 AM in response to dadathepanda100

I, too, think that it is an iOS issue with the Bluetooth version and various devices to which I try to pair my iPhone. My phone stays paired to my Apple Watch and Tile devices but cuts in and out on Bluetooth with my hands free car phone speakers. The folks at the Genius Bar are clueless. I have tried to pair the phone to two separate Motorola Roadster 2 devices and one Jabra Freeway device. The Bluetooth connection cuts in and out on all 3. It initially pairs for about 5 minutes then drops an immediately reconnects. Then disconnects.

Oct 8, 2017 7:36 PM in response to ZipperFootMonkeyArrow

You're so right. It is the most important Bluetooth connection I make (in fact one of the few). It is a safety and a legal issue (handsfree is mandated in my state and most others I suspect). Reliable bluetooth is mandatory. I've reverted back to my iPhone 6 and am returning the 8.

Funny thing is I also had issues with my new AirPods which worked seamlessly with my iPhone 6, my iPad and my MacBook Air.

Oct 13, 2017 2:38 PM in response to Rayloriure

I’ve had exactly the same problem and I even changed my phone but it’s still dropping. I’ve disvovered some type of solution - you need to take Bluetooth off before you are in car and then connect manually. This way it connects and doesn’t drop - but Apple need to realise this is a real problem. I’m on the verge of taking this back and getting an S8.

Oct 15, 2017 9:04 AM in response to Rayloriure

I have the same issue after upgrading from iPhone7 Plus to iPhone8 Plus.

My Mio Fuse did work flawlessly with my iPhone7 Plus but keep on connecting and drop in iPhone8 Plus. Tried different method like reset network setting, deleting the Apps and reinstall, forget the devices and etc. None of them works.

I also noted my Airpod keeps on randomly try to connect though it is already connected to function and play music, as I heard the "ton" sound sometimes when in use.

Apple should find out a fix for this!

Oct 18, 2017 7:19 PM in response to Rayloriure

I've had the iPhone 8 plus for 4 days and just updated to iOS 11.0.3. I've had no problem with Bluetooth connection to my 2015 Jeep Cherokee's Uconnect or my sister's Bluetooth radio device in her car, but I can't connect to my Taotronics Bluetooth Headphones no matter what I do!

After reading all of the comments of people restoring their phones in hopes to fix the Bluetooth problems with no luck, I probably won't try it...at least until I get really desperate.

Apple HELP!!!!!!

Oct 19, 2017 8:40 PM in response to MielNC

I have the same issue as others have described had the iPhone 8+ for about 3 weeks now and I hate it. Apple really needs to take this issue seriously as this could be a major liability issue for the company, as bluetooth allows the phone to be handsfree. Apple needs to own this issue and fix this asap or I am returning my device shortly.

Shame on a company that is suppose to be worldclass producing third class hardware/software. I cant belive the most basic feature does not work in a reliable manner. Apple work on getting the basics right before you move onto offering complex features!

iPhone 8 bluetooth issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.