Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi not working

Since the last few weeks, I am having issues with wifi connections on my iPhone. I can basically not turn it on. The button in the settings is not greyed out but when I slide it right, it immediately slides back left and does not connect. Similarly, from the control panel, it goes blue when I click and then back to grey. This happens about 95% of the time. Then randomly it would work. Sometimes I would even be connected to wifi while the wifi button is off.

I was due to change the phone where this was happening from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 8 and, to my surprise, I have the exact same issue with the new phone, from the beginning, so I am quite sure is software, as I backed up the old phone and restored in the new. I have tried resetting network settings but nothing improves. Any idea what's going on?

iPhone 8, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 1:01 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities andresfrombasel,

I see that you're having an issue with the Wi-Fi on your iPhone 8. I know how important it is to be able to connect to Wi-Fi, and I'd be happy to provide some information to help with this issue.

You've already done some great troubleshooting steps. You also mention that you upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 8 and the issue carried over from the old iPhone to the new one. So ​from here you'll want to backup your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes. Once you've done that, restore the iPhone as new using iTunes (this will wipe the iPhone, thus why you'll want to have you back it up first), and then test the issue.

If the issue persists, then message reply back to me.

If the issue is gone, then restore the backup from iCloud or iTunes to the iPhone. If the issue is still gone, you are all set and good to go. If the issue returns with the restore of the backup, then you'll know it is something with your backup. At that point, restore the iPhone as new again and then load your data back on manually.

Linked below are articles to guide you on the above processes:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
​Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2018 1:01 AM in response to andresfrombasel

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities andresfrombasel,

I see that you're having an issue with the Wi-Fi on your iPhone 8. I know how important it is to be able to connect to Wi-Fi, and I'd be happy to provide some information to help with this issue.

You've already done some great troubleshooting steps. You also mention that you upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 8 and the issue carried over from the old iPhone to the new one. So ​from here you'll want to backup your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes. Once you've done that, restore the iPhone as new using iTunes (this will wipe the iPhone, thus why you'll want to have you back it up first), and then test the issue.

If the issue persists, then message reply back to me.

If the issue is gone, then restore the backup from iCloud or iTunes to the iPhone. If the issue is still gone, you are all set and good to go. If the issue returns with the restore of the backup, then you'll know it is something with your backup. At that point, restore the iPhone as new again and then load your data back on manually.

Linked below are articles to guide you on the above processes:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
​Have a great day!

Wifi not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.