Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete the Google Photos app from iPhone

How do I safely remove the Google Photos app from my iPhone? I’m afraid if I just uninstall it, I’ll lose all my pictures in iCloud. When I try to delete even one photo from the app I get a tutorial saying the photo will be removed from iCloud and any synched devices. I've already searched the Google Support forum for the Google Photos app and even posted a question there, but no answer. I would try just deleting the app from my iPhone, but I can't risk losing 18 years worth of photos.

iPhone X, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 8:53 PM

You should have your photos on your Mac backed up to Time Machine or to an external drive. You can also go to your Photos app on your Mac and under Preferences>iCloud make sure that Download and Keep Originals is turned on. You might want to temporarily turn off iCloud Photo Library on the Mac once you have downloaded the originals until you have successfully deleted the Google app on your iOS device.

Best,

GB

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2018 8:53 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

You should have your photos on your Mac backed up to Time Machine or to an external drive. You can also go to your Photos app on your Mac and under Preferences>iCloud make sure that Download and Keep Originals is turned on. You might want to temporarily turn off iCloud Photo Library on the Mac once you have downloaded the originals until you have successfully deleted the Google app on your iOS device.

Best,

GB

Jun 5, 2018 11:18 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

Larry McJunkin wrote:

Gail, regarding "You can also go to your Photos app on your Mac and under Preferences>iCloud make sure that Download and Keep Originals is turned on"...this is no longer an option in Preferences. It used to be, but it's not there now. Not sure when it went away. I don't see anything that indicates whether or not I have originals stored on my Mac. I can still uncheck "Photo Library" but that doesn't tell me if I have originals on this Mac, so still reluctant to do anything that could possibly delete my originals in iCloud.

If I knew for a fact I had the originals on this Mac I would just copy my Photos Library file to a flash drive and then delete the Google Photos app, but I'm just not sure if what I have on the MBP are originals.

Not sure why you are not seeing that option under Preferences>iCloud>iCloud Photo Library on your Mac. Nothing has changed for that. This is what you should see (except that the section won't be greyed out - mine is because I don't have iCPL turned on):

User uploaded file

Can you attach a screen print of your Preferences>iCloud screen in Photos (to make a screen print go to the screen and then press Shift+Command+4+Shift, and hover your mouse over the Preferences screen so that it gets selected. Then press Enter or tap on your touchpad to take the screenshot - to attach it to your post, click on the camera icon, then select Desktop from Finder, and find the screenshot and select it).

Best,

GB

Jun 5, 2018 11:57 AM in response to gail from maine

Now I see why I don't have this, and it presents yet another problem. (BTW, I'm a retired geek and Mac user for decades). I checked to see if I had any other versions of the Photos.library file with Option+doubleclick on the Dock icon and I had two. Photos was using a version of the file in my correct home library, but the Photos.library file that is the system file, is in a folder that doesn't even exist...or that I see (probably hidden). Of course, unless Photos is using the system library copy of Photos.library, it won't display the info that I wasn't seeing.

My Home library folder is named /Larry but the system library file is in /larry (see annotation on screenshot). Not sure why or how this happened, but currently both files are identical and both always show the exact same "Last accessed" time. Every time I tell it to use the system library version, when I open Photos and Option+doubleclick on the Dock icon, it's back to the wrong one.

User uploaded file

I need to sort this problem out before going any further.

Jun 4, 2018 8:02 PM in response to kelliefromalbury

Kellie, the photos are on photos.ggogle.com, but they’re also in Photos in iCloud and on my Mac and iPhone so I shouldn’t need to download them. Even if I did, they’re not full resolution so they’d do me no good. I’ve turned off “Backup & Sync” in the Google Photos App so if I delete photos on photos.google.com they’re deleted also on the Google Photos app but not in iCloud.

The odd thing is if I delete a photo in the Google Photos app, it’s deleted from iCloud. This is why I’m afraid to just do an uninstall of the app.

When I first configured the Google Photos app I had to give it access to the Apple Photos app. I tried changing this access to “NEVER” and now the Google Photos app won’t open. It just tells me I need to give it access to the Photos app in Settings. I think in this state, I could uninstall it, but I’m not willing to risk 18 years worth of pictures to try it.

Jun 5, 2018 8:52 AM in response to gail from maine

Gail, regarding "You can also go to your Photos app on your Mac and under Preferences>iCloud make sure that Download and Keep Originals is turned on"...this is no longer an option in Preferences. It used to be, but it's not there now. Not sure when it went away. I don't see anything that indicates whether or not I have originals stored on my Mac. I can still uncheck "Photo Library" but that doesn't tell me if I have originals on this Mac, so still reluctant to do anything that could possibly delete my originals in iCloud.

If I knew for a fact I had the originals on this Mac I would just copy my Photos Library file to a flash drive and then delete the Google Photos app, but I'm just not sure if what I have on the MBP are originals.

Jun 5, 2018 5:28 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

Took over two hours with a senior Apple Care advisor in the Photos app area to solve this...he'd never seen it before. Finally got rid of the ghost Photos Library file and all is good.

I backed up the Photos Library file to a thumb drive, plus I had it on Time Machine, then deleted the Google Photos app from my iPhone. It never did anything to the iCloud Photos Library.

How to delete the Google Photos app from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.