Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete Movies from Hard Drive?

Not sure if this is the correct category to make this post but can't find one listed that appears to offer a solution to my problem.

2009 iMac running OSX El Capitan,

Processor: GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256MB

My HD storage is reaching capacity, although I am unaware of downloading any movies, the indications are that I have 70 GB of movies stored. How may I delete these to increase storage availability?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 6:04 AM

You can use Spotlight to search for your movies you just need to type in the file extension, most movies are mp4 so type in .mp4 or other movie file extensions.

If you had been downloading movies they would normally be downloaded to your Downloads folder if that is the destination you have chosen in your browser.

Try to rebuild the Spotlight index again but this time quit and relaunch System Preferences after you add and then remove your HD.

You can also open a new Finder window and type in Movies to the Search field, you should now see a list of all the movies you have on your Mac. Make sure This Mac is selected as per this screenshot.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2018 6:04 AM in response to The Cardiffian

You can use Spotlight to search for your movies you just need to type in the file extension, most movies are mp4 so type in .mp4 or other movie file extensions.

If you had been downloading movies they would normally be downloaded to your Downloads folder if that is the destination you have chosen in your browser.

Try to rebuild the Spotlight index again but this time quit and relaunch System Preferences after you add and then remove your HD.

You can also open a new Finder window and type in Movies to the Search field, you should now see a list of all the movies you have on your Mac. Make sure This Mac is selected as per this screenshot.

User uploaded file

Jun 5, 2018 4:16 AM in response to The Cardiffian

Move them to the Trash and then empty the Trash.

More interesting though is the fact that you state you are unaware of having downloaded any movies yet you have noticed that there are 70Gbs of movies listed. Where do you see this? If it is in the Storage section of About This Mac then that can quite often be wrong and can sometimes be resolved by rebuilding the Spotlight index.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Jun 5, 2018 4:56 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't move them to the Trash to delete them as I don't know where they are on my Mac.

Yes, I have seen the information on the amount of space the movies are taking up in the Storage section of About This Mac.

Attempted to rebuild the Spotlight index as suggested in accordance with the item in Apple Support but it appears to have no effect.

How to delete Movies from Hard Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.