Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Trust this browser? If you choose to trust this browser, you will not be asked for a verification code the next time you sign in."

"Trust this browser? If you choose to trust this browser, you will not be asked for a verification code the next time you sign in."

Not a huge deal, but every time I log into iCloud from my MBP or iMac, I get this message. I say "Trust" and a 2 factor code is then sent directly to the browser. I enter the code and I then can access iCloud.

User uploaded file

But two questions:

1. Why do I have to do this every time? It says that I will not be asked for a verification code the next time I sign in, but it always asks me again and again in the future.
  2. What is the extra security in sending the verification code directly to the browser? I could maybe see enhanced security if the code was sent to my iPhone, but sending the security code directly to the same browser seems kind of silly if I were nefariously trying to access my iCloud account from this browser.

Thank you very much!

• Mac OS: High Sierra 10.13.4
  • Safari: 11.1
  • iMac: Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014
  • Mac Book Pro: Retina 13" Early 2015

macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 3:33 PM

CharPatton wrote:

What is the extra security in sending the verification code directly to the browser? I could maybe see enhanced security if the code was sent to my iPhone, but sending the security code directly to the same browser seems kind of silly if I were nefariously trying to access my iCloud account from this browser.

The code is sent only to your own devices, so someone attempting to log in on another device won't get the code. It's assumed that you are protecting your devices with a passcode so that other people can't access them.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2018 3:33 PM in response to CharPatton

CharPatton wrote:

What is the extra security in sending the verification code directly to the browser? I could maybe see enhanced security if the code was sent to my iPhone, but sending the security code directly to the same browser seems kind of silly if I were nefariously trying to access my iCloud account from this browser.

The code is sent only to your own devices, so someone attempting to log in on another device won't get the code. It's assumed that you are protecting your devices with a passcode so that other people can't access them.

Jun 6, 2018 3:37 PM in response to CharPatton

As Roger indicated, the verification code is only sent to your trusted devices using an encrypted communication channel (it uses the iMessage protocol.) It only appears to be sent to the browser. A stranger trying to log in to your account on an untrusted device will not be sent the verification code.

You can see a list of trusted devices associated with your Apple ID by going to you iCloud settings on any of your trusted devices.

As for why, after selecting "Trust" in the browser window, you continue to be asked to enter the verification code I'm not sure. Try resetting the browser by clearing the history. In Safari go to the Safari menu and select, Clear History…. Be aware that any time you reset the browser you reset the trust setting and have to select trust again.

Jun 6, 2018 3:40 PM in response to Gino_Cerullo

Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply; much appreciated!

Still seems funny to me that it is sent to the same device. If I were a foe and had stolen (in this case) the laptop I'd have the two factor authentication code. Wonder why Apple can't check what device the login is sent from and only send the 2-factor code to another trusted device? Perhaps some technical reason why?

Tried clearing the history but no luck. Not a big deal to enter the 2-factor each time in the grand scheme of things, but given my OCD nature it makes me happiest when things work the way they are supposed to 🙂

Again, thanks to you both!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.