Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate copies in sent folder

When sending mail the Apple mail "sent" folder shows 2 copies of the message. The suggestions that I have found (delete the MessageSorting.plist and editing the mailbox behavior) don't exist as directed. I'm about to give up

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2018 8:20 AM

This morning I did a test I should have done earlier.

1. Sent test email from my wife's computer with both iCloud and msn.com accounts enabled - result: duplicate copies in Sent folder

2. Disabled my wife's msn.com account leaving her iCloud account enabled, then sent test email - result: single copy in Sent folder.

3. Disabled my wife's iCloud account leaving her msn.com account enabled, then sent test email - result: duplicate copies in Sent folder.

It looks like an interaction with msn.com that we will have to live with. Thanks to those who replied.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2018 8:20 AM in response to tygb

This morning I did a test I should have done earlier.

1. Sent test email from my wife's computer with both iCloud and msn.com accounts enabled - result: duplicate copies in Sent folder

2. Disabled my wife's msn.com account leaving her iCloud account enabled, then sent test email - result: single copy in Sent folder.

3. Disabled my wife's iCloud account leaving her msn.com account enabled, then sent test email - result: duplicate copies in Sent folder.

It looks like an interaction with msn.com that we will have to live with. Thanks to those who replied.

Jun 7, 2018 6:43 PM in response to fitz1

Hey fitz1,

If I understand correctly when you send emails from the Mail app, the sent messages are saved and there is a duplicate. This could be caused if the mailbox behavior is to store the message in the sent folder.

Sent Mailbox

Select a mailbox on the mail server or on your Mac to store sent messages.

This option is available only for IMAP accounts.

Mail Mailbox Behaviors preferences on Mac

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Jun 8, 2018 8:34 PM in response to fitz1

Try this method - create a new user account see this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204443

and in this account configure the apple mail application see this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mail/set-up-mail-with-your-email-accounts- mail35803/mac

If issue still persists , its a software glitch so reinstall the os ( erase the drive completely ) see this article macOS Sierra: Erase and reinstall macOS

Jun 8, 2018 12:13 PM in response to chris_g1

The problem happens on my wife's iMac, but both of us have the same setting for mailbox behavior

sent Mailbox "Sent messages". On my machine there is no problem, sent messages (single copy) are saved in the Sent folder, subfolder iCloud. Up until yesterday her computer worked exactly the same. She uses "msn.com", but when I use that provider it works fine and did on her computer until yesterday.

Duplicate copies in sent folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.