Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast requires me to download when synced from Itunes

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance, I got a IPAD which is Wi-Fi only, that I have synced all my Podcasts to and they are up to date, when I open my Podcast app on my IPAD its got them all as required to be downloaded, yet I have synced all of them already from ITunes which is over 40gb. Would anyone provide me some assistance, or is there something I am missing, I would want to listen to them when I am not connected on my home Wi-Fi.

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 7, 2018 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2018 10:14 AM

I'm afraid that the Podcast app on your iPad is a confusing mess.

If you're seeing a message telling you that you need to download an episode that you think you have already downloaded, the chances are that it isn't downloaded at all. Therein lies the problem: the information provided in the app is not helpful, but instead is misleading.

• If an episode shows a cloud icon next to it, it isn't downloaded, but is only in the cloud (I think)
  • If an episode shows a + icon next to it, tap it and the icon becomes the cloud. So I have no idea whatsoever what the stupid + symbol means (ad I've been listening to Podcasts for years on older iPods, without this trouble).
  • If you look in the Podcasts app at the Library screen, you will see Shows > on the menu. If the text Downloaded Episodes > there as well (below it), that menu item has the episodes you have downloaded from your iTunes Library.
  • If Downloaded Episodes > is not on the Podcasts Library menu, then any episodes you see listed under Shows have been downloaded via your Wi-Fi connection and not by a Sync from your iTunes Library.

I think I've got that correct.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2018 10:14 AM in response to werner254

I'm afraid that the Podcast app on your iPad is a confusing mess.

If you're seeing a message telling you that you need to download an episode that you think you have already downloaded, the chances are that it isn't downloaded at all. Therein lies the problem: the information provided in the app is not helpful, but instead is misleading.

• If an episode shows a cloud icon next to it, it isn't downloaded, but is only in the cloud (I think)
  • If an episode shows a + icon next to it, tap it and the icon becomes the cloud. So I have no idea whatsoever what the stupid + symbol means (ad I've been listening to Podcasts for years on older iPods, without this trouble).
  • If you look in the Podcasts app at the Library screen, you will see Shows > on the menu. If the text Downloaded Episodes > there as well (below it), that menu item has the episodes you have downloaded from your iTunes Library.
  • If Downloaded Episodes > is not on the Podcasts Library menu, then any episodes you see listed under Shows have been downloaded via your Wi-Fi connection and not by a Sync from your iTunes Library.

I think I've got that correct.

Podcast requires me to download when synced from Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.