Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music won’t download on new phone

When attempting to download my music on my new iPhone I get a message saying that “the device cannot be transferred.” It also says it it must be linked to my Apple account, then states that it is linked but can’t be transferred for 86 days. See screenshot. User uploaded file

What is this?

Posted on Jun 7, 2018 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2018 11:41 AM

It is a message indicating that your device is associated with another Apple ID. That means that someone other than you was signed into your device yesterday, and had one of the following occur while they were signed in:

- Subscribed to iTunes Match

- Subscribed to Apple Music

- Turned on Automatic Downloads

- Joined a Family Sharing group

- Downloaded a past purchase

Here is a support article that explains associated devices: Associated Device.

Did you let someone else sign into your device yesterday?

Best,

GB

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2018 11:41 AM in response to Carl's Apple

It is a message indicating that your device is associated with another Apple ID. That means that someone other than you was signed into your device yesterday, and had one of the following occur while they were signed in:

- Subscribed to iTunes Match

- Subscribed to Apple Music

- Turned on Automatic Downloads

- Joined a Family Sharing group

- Downloaded a past purchase

Here is a support article that explains associated devices: Associated Device.

Did you let someone else sign into your device yesterday?

Best,

GB

Jun 7, 2018 11:51 AM in response to Carl's Apple

They need to do all of the following in order for you to be able to use the device:

What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure if doing all of that disassociates the device. But each of the steps would need to be completed before you can make that determination. You can also contact Apple Support to see if you could get further clarification from them: iTunes Support WorldWide

Best of luck,

GB

Music won’t download on new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.