Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login screen half black

This started last night, but whenever I open my computer the login screen looks like it has been shifted over, when I log in everything is fine though. It started after my cat walked all over my keyboard so maybe she did something

I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro mid 2012 running off macOS Sierra

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Jun 7, 2018 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2018 5:25 PM

Hello ferretluvu,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that your MacBook display appears partially black on the log in screen. You've come to the right place! I've got two great resources that can help with this issue.

First, I recommend resetting NVRAM on your Mac using the steps in the link below:
How to reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

If the persists use the steps and information in the link below to reset the System Management Controller (SMC):
How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

Let us know the results. Please include any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2018 5:25 PM in response to ferretluvu

Hello ferretluvu,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that your MacBook display appears partially black on the log in screen. You've come to the right place! I've got two great resources that can help with this issue.

First, I recommend resetting NVRAM on your Mac using the steps in the link below:
How to reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

If the persists use the steps and information in the link below to reset the System Management Controller (SMC):
How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

Let us know the results. Please include any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!

Login screen half black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.