Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac book has been stuck updating for 3 days

can I shutdown my laptop and start over? The laptop is on the black screen with the Apple saying 30 minuteseft since Thursday night

Posted on Jun 9, 2018 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2018 11:15 AM

Hi Blair,

You could try restarting the entire installation via these steps:

1. Force your Mac to power off by holding down the power button until the screen goes completely black.
  2. Hold down the Command and R keys as you turn on your Mac. Keep holding them down until the Apple logo appears. This will tell your Mac to boot Recovery Mode.
  3. When the Utilities menu appears, select Reinstall macOS. You'll be guided through the reinstallation process, and your Mac will download a fresh copy of macOS to install. The latest updates will automatically be included, and no data will be lost by doing this.
  4. After your Mac restarts, the installation screen you described should appear (unless FileVault is on, in which case you need to log in first). This time, however, the installation should complete itself instead of freezing in place.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2018 11:15 AM in response to blairfromnampa

Hi Blair,

You could try restarting the entire installation via these steps:

1. Force your Mac to power off by holding down the power button until the screen goes completely black.
  2. Hold down the Command and R keys as you turn on your Mac. Keep holding them down until the Apple logo appears. This will tell your Mac to boot Recovery Mode.
  3. When the Utilities menu appears, select Reinstall macOS. You'll be guided through the reinstallation process, and your Mac will download a fresh copy of macOS to install. The latest updates will automatically be included, and no data will be lost by doing this.
  4. After your Mac restarts, the installation screen you described should appear (unless FileVault is on, in which case you need to log in first). This time, however, the installation should complete itself instead of freezing in place.

My mac book has been stuck updating for 3 days

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.