📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport WiFi slower than ISP router

Hi all.

I have an ISP that provides internet with an ethernet cable straight into my flat. Then this is plugged into their own router (an ZTE dual-band router). However, they do give users the option of plugging in their own router directly (i.e. ditching their own router) if they so wish as long as it works.

I've been playing around with my good old airport express (2nd generation - A1392) and I managed to get it to work....sort of. I mean, I get internet and Wifi but I'm getting roughly half the speed over the 5GHz wifi and I do with the ISPs router (roughly 82 Mbps vs 167 Mbps). For both I'm using the same WLAN configuration: channel 40, mixed A/N mode (although the ISP's router also allows ac).

I've also set the router mode on the Airport express to DHCP and NAT and I've set no IPv6 settings other than to configure automatically.

Any idea of what could be causing this speed difference? I would really like to keep my Airport express only.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 6, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 10, 2018 1:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2018 2:18 AM

An Apple Express is a toy router.. it is tiny compact designed to work alongside a big brother, like Extreme or Time Capsule.

Apple made it with fast ethernet ports.. ie 100Mbps is the top speed.. and in reality about 90Mbps.. so your finding is spot on.. because the 5ghz wireless is also old fashioned and slow..

I have no idea what model the ZTE router is.. but I can tell it has gigabit ports.. i.e. 1000Mbps.. 10x faster than the express.. there is no other way you could exceed 100Mbps. It also has AC wireless and even on older device with N wireless card.. it is still faster than toy Express which is limited to 300mbps link speed.. ZTE might be either 866 or 1300 Mbps. Apple N wireless card can join at 450Mbps on the AC wireless.. Note for wireless these are all link speeds.. not real world which are always half or less.

You will get same speed as ZTE using Airport Extreme.. Apple though has stopped manufacture and once finished will not be replaced.. so buy one now if you want one..

Consider the express great for airplay.. and let me think.. airplay.. and slow internet connections.. and airplay.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2018 2:18 AM in response to chsoto

An Apple Express is a toy router.. it is tiny compact designed to work alongside a big brother, like Extreme or Time Capsule.

Apple made it with fast ethernet ports.. ie 100Mbps is the top speed.. and in reality about 90Mbps.. so your finding is spot on.. because the 5ghz wireless is also old fashioned and slow..

I have no idea what model the ZTE router is.. but I can tell it has gigabit ports.. i.e. 1000Mbps.. 10x faster than the express.. there is no other way you could exceed 100Mbps. It also has AC wireless and even on older device with N wireless card.. it is still faster than toy Express which is limited to 300mbps link speed.. ZTE might be either 866 or 1300 Mbps. Apple N wireless card can join at 450Mbps on the AC wireless.. Note for wireless these are all link speeds.. not real world which are always half or less.

You will get same speed as ZTE using Airport Extreme.. Apple though has stopped manufacture and once finished will not be replaced.. so buy one now if you want one..

Consider the express great for airplay.. and let me think.. airplay.. and slow internet connections.. and airplay.

Jun 10, 2018 2:18 AM in response to LaPastenague

Ahhh. So I guess if the ports are 100 Mbps then I was never going to get more than that speed even if "theoretically" the WiFi can do more. The ZTE router is an ZXHN H298A and it does have Gigabit ports. I guess that all makes sense now.

I was just carried away by the fact that my previous ISP router was a piece of crap and the Airport just improved things so much, that I was hoping it was going to be the case.

Thanks for the reply. I think my AE now has a date with eBay.....

Airport WiFi slower than ISP router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.