Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apfs disk space

I had a weird experience and can't find any explanation. Before updating from 10.12 to 10.13, I had around 130 GB free space on a 1 TB SSD (MacBook Pro) - as reported by get info and disk utility. After updating, the free space dropped to around 90 GB. So I went in and deleted around 70 GB of files (and emptied the trash), after which my free space dropped to around 65 GB! Googling around, I found a discussion of tmutil listlocalsnapshots /. It did not list any Time Machine snapshots, but it did list three Carbon Copy Cloner (v 5) snapshots. So I went into CCC, disabled snapshots, and deleted the three snapshots, which totaled around 30 GB (as reported by CCC). After that, my free space jumped up to 260GB! Where was all that space hiding?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 11, 2018 5:56 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 11, 2018 11:28 AM in response to Radarhus

APFS will share your disk space for several different types of data. If you look at your disk in Activity Monitor, it will say "Shared by 4 volumes". If you wanted to, you could create additional volumes that would share the same disk space. That is essentially what snapshots are. They are volumes, but normally aren't mounted. They use space very efficiently, but they still use space. Once you start to run low on space, they will be automatically deleted.

Also, the free space reporting if often very inaccurate. It uses the Spotlight indexing system to calculate your free space. Sometimes the indexing gets delayed. Sometimes it is just flat-out wrong.

Jun 11, 2018 11:09 AM in response to James Weisbin2

James Weisbin2 wrote:

Carbon Copy Cloner (v 5) snapshots. So I went into CCC, disabled snapshots, and deleted the three snapshots, which totaled around 30 GB (as reported by CCC). After that, my free space jumped up to 260GB! Where was all that space hiding?

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/protecting-data-already-on-your-destination-volume-c arbon-copy-cloner-safetynet

Jun 11, 2018 2:00 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks for the explanation, etresoft! I wonder, what would it take for Apple to fix these issues (i.e. incorrect HD free space reporting, etc.)? Also, what if I don't want the system to constantly create snapshots and clogging the free space? It seems that this functionality either is not implemented properly, or does not work as it should.

apfs disk space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.