Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Meaning Behind White Arrow/Grey Area in Compound Clips

I've searched the forum to no satisfactory answer, so I'd try to explain this way.

I've been doing some changes to projects w/ compound clips and assigned roles - mainly replacing the imagery while retaining all other properties (especially the duration of each timeline).

And I notice from time to time when I double click the compound clip to edit, there is this white arrow in the timeline, and the area that is greyed out, in what seems to be an arbitrary and random place, but I can still edit those clips in the greyed out area (for example, replace an image).

Below are two screen shots of the compound clip and the very same source clips in the timeline, with arrows and greyed out areas.

Any ideas what that is and why that is?User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jun 13, 2018 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2018 12:25 PM

Compound clips can be created in the browser as well as in a project. If a compound clip is shortened in a project then a portion of it exists inside the compound clip, which is not used in the project.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 13, 2018 9:47 AM in response to Alek013

Not clear on what you’re asking. The first image is inside the compound clip. If you mean the area on the right with the dual goal lines, that’s a part of the compound clip that is not included in the project from which it came. These areas with the ones can only appear at the beginning and end of the compound clip. Not sure if that’s what you mean. Perhaps you’re referring to something else.

Jun 13, 2018 11:53 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

" If you mean the area on the right with the dual goal lines, that’s a part of the compound clip that is not included in the project from which it came. These areas with the ones can only appear at the beginning and end of the compound clip. "

I am not sure if I know exactly what I mean, but yes, I wanted to know why there is that arrow at that particular moment inside the compound clip, and why then there are those stripes to the right of that arrow. I am also not sure that I understand your reply, especially the part that it's "a part of the compound clip that is not included in the project from which it came. " How is that not included in the project from which it came? I mean, to my understanding, every part of the compound clip is included in the project from which it came.

I apologize, maybe this is something basic. Again, I was more curious as I was not prevented from editing/making changes in what I called the greyed out area (striped area).

The Meaning Behind White Arrow/Grey Area in Compound Clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.