Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keeping photos in iCloud only and not on device

Hello,

I want to set up my ipad pro, iphone 7 and MB Pro so that all photos taken by all devices are stored exclusively in the cloud with nothing on the device.

Is this possible?

If so can you let me know how it is done?

Many thanks

iPhone 7, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on Jun 16, 2018 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2018 10:46 AM

No. iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photo Library is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to that iCloud Photo Library. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2018 10:46 AM in response to Marcusbrittanicus

No. iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photo Library is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to that iCloud Photo Library. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Jun 16, 2018 12:02 PM in response to Marcusbrittanicus

that is not what iCloud does - it is NOT an off site storage location nor is it a backup service - it is a syncing service and all photos will be on all connected devices - you use optimized photos for devices with limited storage - services like DropBox provide off site storage but they can not be used with the Photos App - it must have its photos in the local library

LN

keeping photos in iCloud only and not on device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.