Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backup size is significantly smaller than photo library itself

I noticed that the backup size for my iPhone is significantly smaller than the size of just the photo library itself, and am wondering why? I have iCloud Photo Library turned OFF, so this is not explained by the fact that with that feature turned on the photos are excluded from the "iCloud backup". I suspect there may be some compression going on, but not this much. Any thoughts?

User uploaded file

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 9:38 PM

How much iCloud storage do you have available?

You can also scroll to the bottom, and Delete the current backup, then go to Settings>your name>iCloud>Manage Storage>Backups>select your device to make sure your backup options are all correctly on. Then go to Settings>your name>iCloud>iCloud Backup>and click on Backup Now to see if the new backup will correctly reflect your items.

Best,

GB

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2018 9:38 PM in response to blt413

How much iCloud storage do you have available?

You can also scroll to the bottom, and Delete the current backup, then go to Settings>your name>iCloud>Manage Storage>Backups>select your device to make sure your backup options are all correctly on. Then go to Settings>your name>iCloud>iCloud Backup>and click on Backup Now to see if the new backup will correctly reflect your items.

Best,

GB

Jun 17, 2018 11:04 PM in response to blt413

You are most welcome.

I really don't know why it wasn't accurately reflecting your backup size, but right now, older devices on older iOSs (like my iPad 1) are showing a backup of 0kb, so my guess is that there have been some inaccuracies as of late in that arena.

There is no place to report a bug, but you can send feedback if you wish: Feedback - iCloud - Apple. Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. But, of course, it's your call 🙂

Best,

GB

Jun 17, 2018 10:47 PM in response to gail from maine

Thanks Gail. Before receiving your response I went ahead and deleted the backup entirely and then turned it back on. This time it accurately reflected the backup size to include my photos (~9 GB). I'm really not sure why it only said 1.62 GB. If this is/was a bug, how do I report it? Everything seems to be working now, though, thanks for your help.

iCloud backup size is significantly smaller than photo library itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.