Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my received images in imessage showing up as “IMG_(four digit word)_JPG?

my friend was sending pictures from a photo shoot to a group chat and in between I restarted my iphone 8+ and it showed a picture of a file and “IMG_(four digit word)_JPG. how can I view my pictures?

Posted on Jun 18, 2018 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2018 2:23 PM

Hello ryry258,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble viewing photos in a message thread. I’m here to help.

To start, you should be able to tap on the “IMG_####_JPG” to download the file.

If that does not solve your issue, I suggest toggling iMessage off and then back on by tapping on Settings > Messages > iMessage. Once you’ve done this, go ahead and see if the images appear, or if they download after tapping on “IMG_####_JPG.”

If the issue still persists, you’ll want to contact Apple Support.

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2018 2:23 PM in response to ryry258

Hello ryry258,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble viewing photos in a message thread. I’m here to help.

To start, you should be able to tap on the “IMG_####_JPG” to download the file.

If that does not solve your issue, I suggest toggling iMessage off and then back on by tapping on Settings > Messages > iMessage. Once you’ve done this, go ahead and see if the images appear, or if they download after tapping on “IMG_####_JPG.”

If the issue still persists, you’ll want to contact Apple Support.

Take care.

Why are my received images in imessage showing up as “IMG_(four digit word)_JPG?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.