Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro crashes halfway through start

My MacBook Pro tries to start up, start up tone, horizontal bar fills to just under halfway and screen just goes black. ok until this started yesterday. Help!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 19, 2018 1:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2018 3:37 PM

Good afternoon Branna1,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand your MacBook Pro is not completing the startup today. Has anything changed since yesterday? Do you have a Time Machine backup of your computer?
About the screens you see when your Mac starts up
The first thing I would suggest is to disconnect all peripherals except your keyboard and mouse, and then press and hold the Shift key as you turn on your Mac to see if it will start up in safe mode.
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
If the computer starts up in safe mode, then restart the computer without pressing the Shift key to start it normally.
If the computer does not start up in safe mode, then you may need to start up in recovery mode and use Disk Utility to check the health of the hard drive.
macOS High Sierra - Repair a disk
Branna1, give these initial troubleshooting steps a try, and reply to this thread with any additional information that you can about your issue. I'll do my best to help you with this!
Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2018 3:37 PM in response to Branna1

Good afternoon Branna1,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand your MacBook Pro is not completing the startup today. Has anything changed since yesterday? Do you have a Time Machine backup of your computer?
About the screens you see when your Mac starts up
The first thing I would suggest is to disconnect all peripherals except your keyboard and mouse, and then press and hold the Shift key as you turn on your Mac to see if it will start up in safe mode.
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
If the computer starts up in safe mode, then restart the computer without pressing the Shift key to start it normally.
If the computer does not start up in safe mode, then you may need to start up in recovery mode and use Disk Utility to check the health of the hard drive.
macOS High Sierra - Repair a disk
Branna1, give these initial troubleshooting steps a try, and reply to this thread with any additional information that you can about your issue. I'll do my best to help you with this!
Take care.

Jun 21, 2018 6:51 AM in response to Branna1

Hi Branna1,

I'm sorry to hear that your hard disk has failed. You might want to consider speaking to an Apple Authorized Service Provider about replacing the hard drive on your current MacBook Pro with a faster SSD (solid-state) drive, which would be the most economical solution. Or, visit an Apple Store to physically compare the iPad vs. the MacBook and determine what product best suits your individual needs.

Click on the "Service and Support" section of the resource below for more information:

Find Locations - Service - Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers
All the best to you.

MacBook Pro crashes halfway through start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.