Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad call forwarding

Is there any way to forward calls from an iPad Gen 4 WiFi + Cellular with AT&T service. No one at AT&T or Apple seems to know for sure. Thanks.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 11:44 AM

11 replies

Jun 22, 2018 11:21 PM in response to NHRARacer585

Well, when you go to Settings>Phone>Calls on Other Devices, do you see your iPad listed? And if you want Text Messages to go to your iPad, do you have that turned on also under Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding?

If you don't see the iPad listed, then it cannot use what is called "Continuity" in Apple terminology:

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

And since you have restated your question, the answer is "No", an iPad cannot "forward" calls since it is not a phone. The setting you asked about is under the Phone options in Settings, and there is no such option on an iPad.

Best,

GB

Jun 23, 2018 11:36 AM in response to NHRARacer585

You can always use the Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or other Phone to share the data connection to the iPad.

So no need to have an extra payment for the iPad, and works essentially the same way.

i.e the current Phone shares the data connection to the iPad wherever they are.

See here: How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Jun 22, 2018 6:41 AM in response to NHRARacer585

I think the answer is no.

Cellular iPads only do cellular data, not phone calls. If the iPad cannot see the call, it cannot forward it. Although it would have a number assigned to it for accounting purposes, that number does not accept calls.

There's no Phone app on an iPad, so you cannot set forwarding from there. You also cannot set the call forwarding through the AT&T website. ("You can only change your Call Forwarding settings from your wireless phone for security purposes. You can’t manage Call Forwarding online.")

Jun 22, 2018 6:43 AM in response to markwmsn

I was afraid that was the answer. One person at AT&T told me yes you could and others say no. I think no is the correct answer. I guess I won't be getting a new iPad then. I have an old iPhone that is not used it just has the number forwarded to the phone I carry. I wanted to take that number to the iPad and forward it from the iPad and use the iPad too. Not willing to add another $22 per month to have the iPad.

Jun 22, 2018 6:48 AM in response to NHRARacer585

Ya, thats a hard no.. but are you already getting call to the iPad, or are you trying to send calls from your phone to the ipad.. different thing all together

while att gives the ipad a number it is only for accounting and not available for voice or text messages

calls and texts to your iphone could be forwarded, as well as imessage calls will go to the ipad

we also have google voice and internet account and app options

Jun 22, 2018 8:02 AM in response to NHRARacer585

Why does the iPad need to have a phone number?

Any reason you cannot keep the number on the old phone, and just use the iPad without a number?

Why do you seem to think that not being able to port a number to the iPad somehow means you cannot use the iPad?

iPads don't even a cellular service connection, so no need to pay $22 extra just to have an iPad.

Jun 22, 2018 8:11 AM in response to NHRARacer585

I think you changed the question somewhat when you mentioned number porting and an existing call forwarding setup. It's now only an internal AT&T question about (a) whether they can/will port a phone number to a quasi-phone/accounting number, (b) whether call forwarding would survive the porting, and (c) whether it would be stable or correctable going forward.

As a practical matter, it doesn't change the answer much. Sorry.

Jun 22, 2018 11:08 PM in response to Phil0124

The iPad doesn't need to have a phone number unless you want to use data when not connected via WiFi.

I don't know of a reason why you cannot keep the number on the old phone and just use the iPad without a number.

I don't think that not being able to port a number to the iPad somehow means you cannot use the iPad. Never said that.

If I want to use data on the iPad when not connected to WiFi I do have to pay ~$22.00 per month.

iPad call forwarding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.