Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone stolen, trying to log in to iCloud (Lost my iPhone) on Macbook

Hello,

My phone was stolen last night. I managed to track the phone for a while and put it in lost mode with Find My iPhone, but the thief managed to turn it off after about an hour. Apple suggested on a website that i change my iCloud password right away, so i did. It logged me out of all things iCloud. Now, when i'm trying to log into anything iCloud, it requires two-factor authentication and tries to send a message with a 6-digit code to my stolen phone. I don't have any other numbers i trust set up unfortunately. I'm working on my MacBook.

I clicked on other options besides phone. Gave me a link (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204974) with these instructions: From your Mac:
Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > iCloud.
Click Account Details.
If your device is offline, click Get Verification Code. If your device is online, click Security > Get Verification Code.
I can't click on "account details." System preferences is asking me to log in. I enter my password but it requires the password and another authentication method. Now i'm stuck. Any ways around this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 2:48 PM

Something is confusing here. Where is it that you set up Two-Factor Authentication? On the Mac? If you did, then you had to supply the number that you could be reached at. Also, changing your iCloud password, only requires you to re-enter that password when you access your Apple ID/iCloud services, but it doesn't sign you out.

Can you clarify?

Best,

GB

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2018 2:48 PM in response to duncle77

Something is confusing here. Where is it that you set up Two-Factor Authentication? On the Mac? If you did, then you had to supply the number that you could be reached at. Also, changing your iCloud password, only requires you to re-enter that password when you access your Apple ID/iCloud services, but it doesn't sign you out.

Can you clarify?

Best,

GB

Jun 21, 2018 3:15 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi, thanks for the reply Gail!

I think i first set up Two-factor authentication (TFA) on my iPhone X when i got it back in December. I might have done it on my Mac, however, while setting up my phone. I used my iPhone X's phone number at that time, and i can confirm that this is the number to which it says that it's sending the verification code.

I'm pretty sure i read a warning that this was about to sign me out of all my iCloud accounts. I proceeded anyway not anticipating that i'd need my phone to complete TFA. Sure enough, from that moment, i haven't been able to log into iCloud, Messages, and there's also been the System Preferences login issue. I was able to access the tab for Lost My iPhone that was open in Safari for a while, but it kept having me log in every so often (password only, no Apple ID or 2nd step authentication), so i wanted to refresh the log-in page and check the "remember me" box. Another mistake. Now it won't let me access Lost My iPhone. I even had to create a new Apple ID to post to this forum.

Jun 21, 2018 7:45 PM in response to duncle77

Well, if you had Two-Factor already set up, and you had signed into your iCloud account on your Mac after you set it up, then your Mac should be considered a Trusted Device, and you should be able to get the verification code on your Mac.

Whenever I sign into my Apple ID or into my iCloud account on a new computer or device, my Verification code goes to both of my iPhones and my Mac.

When you try to sign into iCloud on your Mac, do you not get a Verification Code?

If you go to iCloud.com on your Mac, can you still sign in? (I wasn't clear on that from your post). If you can sign into iCloud.com, go to Settings, and see if your Mac is listed as being signed into iCloud on those devices (I don't believe they disappear when you sign out, but not 100% on that).

Best,

GB

Phone stolen, trying to log in to iCloud (Lost my iPhone) on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.