Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync Mail to all Mac Devices

I have an IMAP MacMail (11.3) account on my iMac (OS High Sierra 10.13.4), my MacBook Pro (OS High Sierra 10.13.4) and my iPhone 8 (Version 11.8).

How do I sync the 3 devices so that all mail and mail boxes are the same and actions taken on one device occur on all devices?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), iMac Retina 5K, 27",i5, 3.2GHz,16GB

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 6:57 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Jun 22, 2018 10:54 AM in response to Dedo

Dedo wrote:

It doesn’t. Only when deleting messages. They’re deleted on all accounts. I can’t see all mailboxes from the iMac on the MacBook Pro or iPhone.

Probably because you created those mailboxes under "On My Mac" - which means what it says... these mailboxes reside on your mac, and are independent of the IMAP server.

User uploaded file

You can drag a mailbox from under "On My Mac" to under the respective server and it will be copied. Keep in mind the possible server limits (e.g. my Gmail allows up to 15GB of mail), so keeping it all in the server may be a challenge, or require paying for an upper service tier.

Jun 22, 2018 12:41 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, you're absolutely right, I created the mailboxes on my POP account then changed over to IMAP. It was only the IMAP mailboxes that were showing up on my MBP and iPhone. And when I created new mailboxes, I chose On My Mac, not knowing any better. On My Mac is not on my ISP Server. I'm now, as you say, dragging and dropping mailboxes and waiting for messages to load.

I'm marking you as Solved because it's my only selection choice (it was actually my ISP who solved it)

but your answer will help others.

Thanks for responding.

Jun 22, 2018 7:39 AM in response to deggie

Thanks, deggie. I did send a message to my ISP this morning (who is usually very responsive) and asked why all iMac mailboxes aren't listed on my Webmail account. If not there, certainly can't select 'View'. But, after having made some changes on the Webmail, I'll try deleting the Mail account and resetting it on my MBP and see what that does.

I'll post again when they respond.

Thanks again.

Jun 22, 2018 12:34 PM in response to deggie

deggie-

I heard back from my ISP about three hours ago. :-)

I created the mailboxes on my POP account then changed over to IMAP. It was only the IMAP mailboxes that were showing up on my MBP and iPhone. I'm now, as Luis says below, dragging and dropping mailboxes and waiting for messages to load. The mailboxes I've moved so far, are now on all devices. Thanks for your suggestion to look to my ISP.

Jun 23, 2018 4:57 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have. What I haven't done yet is check to see if all messages, in all mailboxes, copied. And it tells me I need to go through and clean up. Way too many old ones.

I'd like to understand what has happened so I have another question. When the protocol is IMAP, and my email is sitting on the ISP Server, is the Server functioning like iCloud? Am I actually viewing my messages on the Server? My iPhone storage is still only 12 of 64GB, despite the fact that I now see and can access all mailboxes.

How do I sync Mail to all Mac Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.