Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

watchOS 4.3.1 keeps failing, need help updating the Apple Watch

Hi,

I need help: I tried installing the new watchOS 4.3.1 on my new Apple Watch Series 3, but the update keeps failing.

First it takes roughly near 45 minutes just to download it, then whenever the progress bar is just a bit more will be completed, the iPhone informs me that the installation has failed and the update stopped and I have to start it all over again.

I've done this a dozen time already, I tried using both home and office WiFi (both have around 30Mpbs connection), and the result is always the same.

I also have restarted the iPhone, it's already have the latest iOS: 11.4 (15F79).

But the problem persist...

What's wrong?

Is there other way to update the Apple Watch?

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.1, null

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 8:34 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 22, 2018 3:37 PM in response to andy js

Hello andy js,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to update your Apple Watch, even after trying some good steps. To help with this, please follow these steps from this Apple resource on your situation.

If you need help updating

Try these steps:

1. Make sure that your Apple Watch connects to its charger.
  2. Restart your Apple Watch. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off, then drag the slider. To turn your watch on again, press and hold the side button.
  3. Restart your paired iPhone. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears, then drag the slider. To turn your iPhone on again, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button.
  4. Try to start the update again.

If the update won't start, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap General > Usage > Software Update, then delete the update file. After you delete the file, try to download and install watchOS again.

Update your Apple Watch

Cheers!

Jun 23, 2018 1:50 AM in response to Briansyddall

Brian,

I have kept the Apple Watch on the charger, the problem persists.

I also have unpaired it, set it up again using the latest backup, but it started again with its old watchOS 4.1 it doesn't download the latest update.*

And when I tried to download the watchOS 4.3.1 again, the iPhone stated it will take around 7 hours to download the 382 MB update! Ridiculous...

*PS: please don't say you're going to recommend me to set it up as new Apple Watch, because you didn't mention or specifically said it before.

Jun 28, 2018 5:43 AM in response to andy js

It's Thursday, 2018, June 28th, and I still can't update my new Apple Watch Series 3.

I've just listened to John Gruber's podcast, and he also mentioned that for him it's also cumbersome to update the Apple Watch, so I guess it's not only me then.

Please Apple Watch engineers, if you're listening or reading this Apple Support web pages, please do something about the process of updating the Apple Watch. And yes, especially you ***** *****...

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

watchOS 4.3.1 keeps failing, need help updating the Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.