Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes makes me log in multiple times every time I launch iTunes

I don't know exactly when this started (within last few months), but now every time I open iTunes, I get 3 or more password prompts in a row. The first one tells me to sign into iTunes store. If I enter my password, I get another prompt telling me my iTunes Store session has expired. If I enter my password to that I get another sign into iTunes Store prompt.

If I enter my password once, I can cancel the remaining prompts, but if I cancel all the prompts I can't play any music from Apple Music.

Things I've tried which didn't fix the problem or made it worse:

1. Signing out of iTunes Store, closing iTunes, opening and signing back in.

2. Deleting iTunes music library files.

3. Deleting some files from C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes (made things worse as the password prompt came up continuously)

4. Deleting some files from C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\cookies

5. Deleting some files from C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences

At this point I have no idea what else to try. For whatever reason I need to enter my password three times any time I close and reopen iTunes.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Windows 7

Posted on Jun 22, 2018 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2018 7:09 PM

Okay I figured out what was causing this. Apparently my laptop was set to use an automatic proxy server setting. I disabled that, logged out of iTunes and logged back in and the problem went away. I could even turn the setting back on and it still would be okay.

I'm guessing that this was somehow blocking whatever cookie is set to tell iTunes it's already logged in. I assume at some point the session will expire and I'll have to do this again. Hopefully that won't be for awhile.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2018 7:09 PM in response to Morac

Okay I figured out what was causing this. Apparently my laptop was set to use an automatic proxy server setting. I disabled that, logged out of iTunes and logged back in and the problem went away. I could even turn the setting back on and it still would be okay.

I'm guessing that this was somehow blocking whatever cookie is set to tell iTunes it's already logged in. I assume at some point the session will expire and I'll have to do this again. Hopefully that won't be for awhile.

iTunes makes me log in multiple times every time I launch iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.