Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

car bluetooth connectivity issues iOS 11.4

Hi

I ve got a big connectivity issue with my car bluetooth since my iPhone 6 was updated to 11.4. I can see incoming/outcoming calls but there is no voice. My car is a 2017 mini, and the whole system was working perfectly before updating.

Tried everything (forget device, turn on/off BT, restart, restore through iTunes) but no joy. Any ideas to avoid this annoying, dangerous and illegal situation of talking while driving without BT?

Many thanks

iPhone 6, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 23, 2018 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2018 2:01 PM

Hi GeorgeGianno,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that since updating to iOS 11.4, you're having trouble with the Bluetooth connection in your car. I know this is an important feature to rely on; I'd like to help. I see that you've tried forgetting the pairing, disabling and re-enabling Bluetooth, restarting your iPhone, as well as restoring through iTunes; I appreciate you including those steps. I'd recommend working through the suggestions below:

If you connect using Bluetooth

1. If you've connected multiple phones to your car stereo, try renaming your iOS device: Go to Settings > General > About > Name, and type a new name. Then try connecting again.
  2. Install any firmware updates for your car stereo.
  3. If you still can't connect, contact Apple Support.

User uploaded file

If you can't pair or connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your car stereo

Best Regards.
27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2018 2:01 PM in response to GeorgeGianno

Hi GeorgeGianno,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that since updating to iOS 11.4, you're having trouble with the Bluetooth connection in your car. I know this is an important feature to rely on; I'd like to help. I see that you've tried forgetting the pairing, disabling and re-enabling Bluetooth, restarting your iPhone, as well as restoring through iTunes; I appreciate you including those steps. I'd recommend working through the suggestions below:

If you connect using Bluetooth

1. If you've connected multiple phones to your car stereo, try renaming your iOS device: Go to Settings > General > About > Name, and type a new name. Then try connecting again.
  2. Install any firmware updates for your car stereo.
  3. If you still can't connect, contact Apple Support.

User uploaded file

If you can't pair or connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your car stereo

Best Regards.

Jul 4, 2018 1:02 AM in response to GeorgeGianno

I know, there is a similar thread here too Re: Is there anything I can do to my Bluetooth as it is disconnecting from everything so in the car can’t use hands free and i know that it’s the phone because it’s doing it to all my Bluetooth speakers and other Bluetooth devices?

I've also posted on that one - it is so frustrating, worked fine before iOS 11.4. I also have a mini, but the fact that it is doing the same thing with my AirPods means it is not a car bluetooth issue...

Jul 31, 2018 9:30 AM in response to GeorgeGianno

Apple 11.4.1 release has bugs with Bluetooth and Wifi.

There is nothing you can do to fix it, restarting, setting up as a new phone and all will not work.

It's a software bug which needs to be fixed.

I have the same problem and it has been acting weird ever since 11.4.1 release came out.

car bluetooth issues, some devices are not recognized, wifi issues, wifi tethering issues etc.

Aug 14, 2018 10:29 AM in response to GeorgeGianno

I have an iPhone 8 and I'm having a similar issue with my Bluetooth connectivity in my Audi. My Bluetooth is on and connected to my car. The Bluetooth works for phone calls but not for music. The radio and CD work, but there will be no sound coming when I'm trying to play some music/audio via Bluetooth from my phone. My husband had not updated his iPhone 8 and can connect to the Bluetooth in my car and play music from his phone. Please fix this issue as soon as you can, Apple. Thank you!

Aug 14, 2018 3:24 PM in response to TZMF1

Same problem here. iPhone 6 updated to 11.4.1. Bluetooth calls and music are fine but Cisco WebEx meetings cannot come through car audio for some reason. Same thing with Bluetooth headphones. Cannot hear anyone on WebEx. This is very much an iOS issue because this was all working prior to 11.4. Very frustrating.

Sep 4, 2018 5:20 AM in response to GeorgeGianno

I just purchased iPhone 7 and updated to 11.4.1 version. I spent close to 2 hours with Apple Support team trying to resolve the Bluetooth & Hotspot connectivity issue...seems like it’s a software issue.

Has the Apple team identified the issue? Why is the customer support team not privy to the issues raised in the community. I followed a bunch of instructions and even did a factory reset - yet the Bluetooth won’t connect and hotspot is unreliable.

APPLE needs to resolve this immediately. Can’t connect it to my car audio system and hotspot isn’t working on all devices.

Sep 11, 2018 6:12 PM in response to mahmoodmobasher

I've going to give this a try. I've had this problem with my iPhone since the 11.0 update. If it doesn't get fixed with the next major software version, I'm switching to Samsung. I've been a long time apple customer and this their lack of response and acknowledgement of the issue has really got me thinking about why I never hear anybody complain about the Samsung phones.

Sep 13, 2018 3:39 PM in response to Eric0584

I am in the same boat, I have only just updated to IOS 11.4.1 since an early 8 version, my phone has been fantastic on the original software release. Apple customer service had not seen such good battery life however were not impressed that I had not updated and was at risk. Unfortunately I listened to customer service and it was the biggest mistake I made in relation to upgrades. I now have ios 11.4.1 and my phone is as good as useless when it comes to bluetooth the battery life has also reduced. What a shame as I spend many hours in the car and rely on the phone for communication. As I’m not prepared to be illegal I will also have to make the switch. Chocolate fireguards spring to mind sadly.

Oct 11, 2018 7:36 AM in response to GeorgeGianno

I have a similar problem here in Sweden. With my iPhone SE I can no longer automatically get the sound diverted to my SonyEricsson HCB-400 bluetooth handsfree in my car. (Yes, the BT unit is a bit old, but it works fine except for this particular problem, so I have no intention of replacing it anytime soon.) This problem started a few months ago with an 11.something software. I don't know exactly which one, since it took a little while before I understood what was happening. But it worked perfectly earlier, so I assume it was caused by an update.

I got incoming calls in my car but there was no sound. In fact, the sound was only coming through the phone itself (not even loudspeaker), which is why I did not hear it. I found out that after the conversation has started I can manually divert it to the bluetooth unit, but I have to do this every single time I receive a call. Unless I happen to have the phone in a mount on the dashboard it is nowadays illegal to do this while driving in my country.

An interesting thing is that it works perfectly with outgoing calls, but not with incoming ones.

Other bluetooth units, like my Plantronics Explorer 320 and Sony SBH80, work fine with the iPhone. My other phone (Samsung) works perfectly with all the above BT units.

I have tried resetting the BT unit, erasing and recreating all BT pairings, erasing network settings, restarting BT and phone, uppdating several times (currently 12.0.1) and most everything I can think of short of a complete factory reset (which I hesitate to do on my workphone – lots of settings and data there ... iCloud backups are fine, but ...).

This is, as mentioned, my workphone (no, my employer does not support this directly and I do not get to choose phone) and I really would need this function to work in my car on business trips.

So. Any suggestions? Can I hope for this to be fixed in any upcoming update?

And – honestly – why on Earth was the BT symbol at the top of the screen removed with iOS 12??? I miss it ...

Oct 27, 2018 10:03 AM in response to GeorgeGianno

I’m having similar issues. I can pair. The audio/speaker worked Only on calls initiated/answered by the cars Bluetooth link. When I initiated/answered from the phone and then switched to Bluetooth it I could see the it was active, but no audio was there on either end of the line. I thought it may be my 2008 car.

I now have a 2018 car. The Bluetooth links. I play music and get navigation audio, but calls on Bluetooth show in the cars system but neither side hears anything. Calls go out and come in, but neither side can hear voice.

I also can only pair via Bluetooth, the Apple CarPlay will not pair. A164 IPhone 8 updated to 12.0.1. The phone and car find each other, cycles but the CarPlay never completes. (I know the car can do it, it was a used car. I deleted 3 iPhones from the memory.)

Very frustrating, as the problem must be my phone. I drive interstates in my daily commute and I have to do all my calls over the phones speaker.

Dec 30, 2018 5:40 PM in response to GeorgeGianno

Hi,

I have been having a problem with my iPhone8 not syncing to my 2011 Mazda6 since Nov 2017.... it has been driving me crazy, and the Mazda dealer had no idea.

I tried all the usual solutions (i.e reseting the phone, reseting bluetooth, reseting networking, etc.)

It was working for years before with the iPhone7 and before version 11.4.

I was searching the internet last night and found a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8PW9IHliSc), with the simple solution of setting the Bluetooth pairing code to 9999.

I do not understand the mechanism, but it worked.....Everything is working fine now with my iPhone8 with version 12.1.2 and my 2011 Mazda6.

Other suggestions I came across that were working for people:-

* Remove the car radio fuse for a couple of minutes to rest the radio.

* Remove the car battery for a few minutes - but CAUTION, this can have side effects of modern cars losing memory, or enabling car locking codes.

Regards

Carl

car bluetooth connectivity issues iOS 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.