Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change admin name on used MacBook I bought?

I just bought a used MacBook on eBay and I'd like to change the admin name from User to my own name. Is it possible without wiping everything and starting from scratch?

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 23, 2018 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2018 1:46 PM

I really only want to change the admin name and password. Everything else is set up the way I want it.

You will likely find that recovering from all of the problems resulting from changing the name will be much worse than erasing and reinstalling.

5 replies

Jun 23, 2018 12:41 PM in response to Richard Groff2

It sounds like that previous owner did not properly remove their Apple ID and prepare this Mac BEFORE they sold it. Changing the device's Administrator name and/or password may not be all you will need to do to be able to keep it updated going forward.

Regardless, I am assuming that you can log into this notebook with an administrator-level account correct? If so, you can easily create a second administrator account with the name you prefer. You can then, log out, and then, log back in with the new administrator account. If all works as you expected, you can then delete the other administrator account.

Jun 23, 2018 12:44 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks! I'm a bit skittish about this. I've been reading posts where people have had to set everything back up again, like Applications, Dock, etc. I've also read about a little utility called ChangeShortName. I'm looking for that now to see if it's what I need. I really only want to change the admin name and password. Everything else is set up the way I want it.

How can I change admin name on used MacBook I bought?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.