Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Can't See Motion Templates

I have several templates created in Motion. They show up in the Motion Templates Folder in users/Home/Movies, but they do not show up in the FCPX effects browser.

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Jun 23, 2018 1:13 PM

9 replies

Jun 23, 2018 2:37 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Here is a screen shot of the Motion Templates folder. Nothing below the C2LUTx folder shows up in the FCPX effects browser. I created a motion blur effect in Motion based on Ripple Training's youtube video, where you create a title template. BTW, the Alex4D effects, which I installed several years ago, do show up in the FCPX browser.User uploaded file

Jun 23, 2018 2:10 PM in response to curtisfromhouston

The templates need to be placed in the correct folders in order to be seen by FCP X.

There is a tool by spherico (Andreas Kiel) that can help you with that. Or you can create the folders in the Finder.

Motion Templates/Effects//

Furthermore, the Motion Templates and Effects folders need to be “localized”: in the Finder, select the folder, press command-I and add the .localized extension in the Get Info window.

(likewise for Transitions, Titles and Generators)

If unsure, post a screenshot of one of your effect’s folder, in column view so we can see the folder hierarchy.

Edit: I think the tool I mentioned is called Motion Template Tool.

Jun 23, 2018 5:53 PM in response to curtisfromhouston

The currently installed version of FCPX also needs to be "concurrent" with its associated version of Motion. In other words, if you're running FCPX 10.3.x vs Motion 5.4.x may also cause issues (but usually "missing media" types of errors).

Double check the "localized" extensions on the folders you needed to add it to. For perfect results, copy the .localized from the Motion Templates folder and paste it into the others. It's case sensitive, must begin with a period and no spaces between the Name and the extension. You shouldn't have to restart FCPX, as soon as it moves back to the "front," it will rescan the Motion Templates folder.

Jun 27, 2018 5:21 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have updated both FCPX and Motion to the latest versions. I created a new template in Motion and saved it. It showed up with the proper extension, but FCPX does not see it. I'm a retired IT guy, but without a lot of Mac experience. My logical next step would be a complete uninstallation of both applications followed by a fresh installation.

FCPX Can't See Motion Templates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.