Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Send as SMS option missing

I am trying to fix a problem sending SMS messages on my iphone 5. I have tried turning off iMessage and rebooting the phone, but I still get the "Not Delivered" error. All of the existing answers to this problem say to enable the "Send as SMS" option, however I do not have this option on the Messages settings for my phone.

Does anybody know why this option might be missing and what I might be able to do to force this?

Can this option be disabled by the carrier? Is that why it might be missing?

Posted on Jun 25, 2018 4:00 AM

7 replies

Jun 25, 2018 4:11 AM in response to oclipa

Well, SMS is a carrier service, and I suggest that you contact your carrier explaining this problem, and checking your plan / contract.

But this is the first time I read about that "missing" setting on iPhone.

What iOS version are you using?

Have you restrictions enabled? (Settings>General>Restrictions>.....Account and Mobile Data should have modifications allowed).

Please keep me informed.

Regards

Giulio

Jun 25, 2018 4:17 AM in response to oclipa

in some cases yes, the carrier can remove features, often hotspot.

that is the place to start looking for the issue.

profiles, device management, restrictions.... are other options.

can you send a text message (green bubble)?

that setting is for iMessage to send as SMS, so if iMessage is not on or signed in you will not see it.

in imessage > send and receive > do you see your number?

Jun 25, 2018 7:09 AM in response to Greg B32

I don't have the profiles option available (which I presume means I don't have any restrictions related to that).

Having said that, after the umpteenth time of trying, my "Send as SMS" option has finally appeared - I kept restarting my phone and turning iMessage on and off and finally something worked. iMessage still claims it is "Waiting for activation", but it does appear that I can send messages to at least some people.

Now to wait to see if this lasts....

Send as SMS option missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.