Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sneaky default contacts set-up with Microsoft Outlook

I have 3 emails synced to my iPhone's Mail app: iCloud, Gmail, & Outlook. All 3 have contacts enabled, but Outlook was set to the "default account" for contact saving without me noticing. This must have happened by default when I first added this email account to my Mail app. Now contacts that I have been adding to my phone are going to my school Outlook account, which will be disabled once I graduate.

How can I get these contacts off of Outlook and into iCloud?

Why does Outlook change my default contacts account without notifying me? Can this be changed so future confused users like me will not wonder why all their contacts are suddenly storing in Outlook instead of iCloud?

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Jun 25, 2018 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 9:38 AM

Hi

I had the exact same issue, I go to download a contact via VCF and even though I click save to contacts the Outlook app hijacks the Vcard and places in the outlook app and not in the native contact app on my iPhone.

I would think Apple would want the contacts to stay native and do not realize Outlook is hijacking the contact.

I had to go into settings and force my contacts into Apple.

Please fix this bug ASAP -- Thx

User uploaded file

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2018 9:38 AM in response to abozzuto

Hi

I had the exact same issue, I go to download a contact via VCF and even though I click save to contacts the Outlook app hijacks the Vcard and places in the outlook app and not in the native contact app on my iPhone.

I would think Apple would want the contacts to stay native and do not realize Outlook is hijacking the contact.

I had to go into settings and force my contacts into Apple.

Please fix this bug ASAP -- Thx

User uploaded file

Jun 25, 2018 11:02 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for this!

I didn't install anything additional to the phone to sync the Outlook account. I could be wrong, but I truly think the simple act of syncing a Microsoft email account to the native Mail app affects the default contacts. I've checked with a few of my friends who have our school's Outlook account synced to their mail app, and their default account for contacts is also set to the Outlook account. These friends had no clue there was such a setting on the phone, so I don't think they made the change manually.

Jul 24, 2018 12:24 PM in response to abozzuto

Hey Abozzuto,

I had the same thing happen to me. It seems like once I sync'd the outlook email service with my native Apple Mail app, Outlook changed my contact settings. I noticed this because I have been burned by lost contacts before so I like to know exactly where my back ups are. Once I sync'd my work email (outlook) to my phone, the contact settings changed over to the new Outlook server.

To your point, I never noticed any permissions or questions regarding where all my contacts could be stored. In your Apple ID portal you are able to download all your contacts as a zip folder and import them into a Google Account. That's what I ended up doing because my Google account is synced with my contacts too.

I obviously then switched the default contact account setting which, oddly enough, never effected the usability of Outlook on the mail app. I agree with you, I am disappointed this changed was never mentioned as I am sure there is many people out there who leave a job or school in your case, and lose all their contacts.

hope this helps!

Jul 25, 2018 6:57 AM in response to abozzuto

Hey Abozzuto,

I would like to know the answers to these questions as well. I first notice this when I got a new phone and all my contacts were not saved into iCloud. I went to the apple store several times and spoke with customer service and they were unsure why this was happening.

I am glad I recently figure out that I need to reset my contact settings so that now my contacts save into iCloud instead of the Outlook server. But as you mentioned, I think this issue should be resolved for future users such as ourselves. It is a terrible inconvenience to lose all of your contacts.

Aug 2, 2018 8:31 AM in response to abozzuto

Microsoft should not change where your default contacts are saved on your IPhone. That would mean you could potentially loose all your contacts if you left your company to go somewhere else.

In Android, when saving a contact, it asks you where you would like to save it and whether you should make it default. It would be nice to see this implemented.

In the meantime, I would suggest you document to your users how to go into General\settings\contacts and change it back.

Sneaky default contacts set-up with Microsoft Outlook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.