Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exported files show wrong created date in Finder

I tried exporting a video file 3 different ways... from the file menu: "export video", "export unmodified original of video", and drag & drop from the Photos app to my desktop. When I view that file with finder the dates, specifically important to me is the "created date" is wrong, and they werent all the same date either. 2 showed yesterdays date, and 1 showed a date from 3 days ago. The file is used was 7 days old.

This question has come up multiple times in this forum, but no one answer gives a fix. Please help.

Posted on Jun 25, 2018 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2018 3:08 PM

it just isn't shown in Mac's Finder (why?????)

Because the Finder doesn't support Exif, which is photographic metadata, only file metadata. The Finder is, after all, a file manager not a photo manager, like Lightroom.

There are two kinds of metadata involved when you consider jpeg or other image file.

One is the file data. This is what the Finder shows. This tells you nothing about the contents of the file, just the File itself.

The problem with File metadata is that it can easily change as the file is moved from place to place or exported, e-mailed, uploaded etc.

Photographs have also got both Exif and IPTC metadata. The date and time that your camera snapped the Photograph is recorded in the Exif metadata. Regardless if what the file date says, this is the actual time recorded by the camera.

Photo applications like Photos, iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, Picasa, Photoshop etc get their date and time from the Exif metadata.

When you export from iPhoto to the Finder new file is created containing your Photo (and its Exif). The File date is - quite accurately - reported as the date of Export.

However, the Photo Date doesn't change.

The problem is that the Finder doesn't work with Exif.

So, your photo has the correct date, and so does the file, but they are different things. To sort on the Photo date you'll need to use a photo app.

You can go to the Photo App in finder, right click (control-click) and choose "show contents", then navigate your way through the "Master" folder and find the original file, then drag and drop it to the folder you want it in.

If you're going to give "advice" to people please warn them first when your suggestion will mean dataloss and database corruption. Never ever make any changes within the Library package as it will cause dataloss and corruption. It's also quite unnecessary.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2018 3:08 PM in response to michelepost

it just isn't shown in Mac's Finder (why?????)

Because the Finder doesn't support Exif, which is photographic metadata, only file metadata. The Finder is, after all, a file manager not a photo manager, like Lightroom.

There are two kinds of metadata involved when you consider jpeg or other image file.

One is the file data. This is what the Finder shows. This tells you nothing about the contents of the file, just the File itself.

The problem with File metadata is that it can easily change as the file is moved from place to place or exported, e-mailed, uploaded etc.

Photographs have also got both Exif and IPTC metadata. The date and time that your camera snapped the Photograph is recorded in the Exif metadata. Regardless if what the file date says, this is the actual time recorded by the camera.

Photo applications like Photos, iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, Picasa, Photoshop etc get their date and time from the Exif metadata.

When you export from iPhoto to the Finder new file is created containing your Photo (and its Exif). The File date is - quite accurately - reported as the date of Export.

However, the Photo Date doesn't change.

The problem is that the Finder doesn't work with Exif.

So, your photo has the correct date, and so does the file, but they are different things. To sort on the Photo date you'll need to use a photo app.

You can go to the Photo App in finder, right click (control-click) and choose "show contents", then navigate your way through the "Master" folder and find the original file, then drag and drop it to the folder you want it in.

If you're going to give "advice" to people please warn them first when your suggestion will mean dataloss and database corruption. Never ever make any changes within the Library package as it will cause dataloss and corruption. It's also quite unnecessary.

Jul 1, 2018 2:46 PM in response to michelepost

I tried exporting a video file 3 different ways... from the file menu: "export video", "export unmodified original of video", and drag & drop from the Photos app to my desktop.

Is even the creation date of the "Unmodified Original" video wrong?

This can happen, if you are using iCloud Photo Library with the "optimize Storage" option enabled. The files you download again from iCloud can have a new creation date. To save the original creation date, I would write it into the filename when exporting the video.

Jul 1, 2018 2:57 PM in response to michelepost

To anyone who has this problem, this is what I have figured out:

While finder does not show the correct "creation date", my Adobe Lightroom program does, so now I know the original date isn't removed from the file when exporting from Photos app, it just isn't shown in Mac's Finder (why?????).

I DID figure out a way to see the original "creation date" in Mac's Finder, but it's frustrating that it can't be easy:

Why?? 😟

Exported files show wrong created date in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.