Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes cannot locate any songs in library

I'm using Mac OS High Sierra, v10.13.5 and iTunes for Mac, v12.7.5.9. This has been a problem for me for almost 2 weeks so I may miss a couple of steps to getting where I currently am. Here goes...

My initial problem was that I would add songs to iTunes and they would disappear if I close and reopen iTunes. I learned (by digging around my folders) that every time I re-added the songs iTunes would create another copy of the songs but they would still disappear. I decided to call Apple for support and that's when my problems got worse.

First technician had me move the .itl file to the desktop and reopen iTunes. It wouldn't open. She did a few other things I can't remember. Eventually she had me put the .itl file back and it STILL wouldn't open. She escalated the ticket to a senior advisor who I've been working with for going on 2 weeks! After much back and forth moving things around, making multiple copies of 14,000 songs he got me to the point where I could see all the songs but had lost playlists, dates added, ratings, play counts, etc. Frustration extremely high at this point. I showed him where my original files were located and we pointed to those and I can see the music, playlists, ratings, etc but...

• when I go to play a song iTunes cannot locate the song (exclamation points)
  • I have a separate copy that will play because I have an Apple music subscription.

Now I have 28,000 songs and half are duplicates, half have exclamation points and I think I'm looking at a ton or work unless I can get an easier resolution in the community. My end goal is to get rid of the exclamation points, maintain the song information and ideally maintain the playlists. Sorry for being so wordy but I thought detail would be best. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 28, 2018 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2018 8:38 PM

That suggests to me that you need to move the folder iTunes Media from /Users/darrylj/Music/iTunes/ into /Users/darrylj/Music/Darryl's iTunes Library/ although that won't be quite so easy if there is already an iTunes Media folder there that has content inside it. You can merge one version of iTunes Media with another if you hold down option as you drag the folder from one parent folder to the other. See macOS Sierra: Organize files in folders. Ideally you'd have a backup of all this elsewhere before you start just in case something goes wrong so you can at least revert to the current state of affairs.

tt2

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2018 8:38 PM in response to bigeasydj

That suggests to me that you need to move the folder iTunes Media from /Users/darrylj/Music/iTunes/ into /Users/darrylj/Music/Darryl's iTunes Library/ although that won't be quite so easy if there is already an iTunes Media folder there that has content inside it. You can merge one version of iTunes Media with another if you hold down option as you drag the folder from one parent folder to the other. See macOS Sierra: Organize files in folders. Ideally you'd have a backup of all this elsewhere before you start just in case something goes wrong so you can at least revert to the current state of affairs.

tt2

Jun 29, 2018 3:57 PM in response to bigeasydj

Make sure that your profile has full read and write permissions to the iTunes folder and all subfolders. Use Get Info on the iTunes folder in Finder. Click the lock at the bottom right to make changes. Make sure that Locked isn't ticked and that your own account has Read & Write access, then use the gear icon to Apply to enclosed items and confirm.

User uploaded file

If your media folder is not stored inside your main iTunes library folder then make the same changes to the media folder.

This should resolve the issue of iTunes not retaining changes you make to the library. Do you have any third party anti-virus software? If so exclude the iTunes folder from real-time AV protection.

See also this post: Re: iTunes & External Hard Drive. My script is only for Windows but some of the other information there might help, and I might have further advice if you can supply the three details at the end of it.

tt2

Jun 30, 2018 2:45 PM in response to turingtest2

After adding the iCloud status field I closed iTunes and reopened it and I was back to exclamation points and locating files. Below is my directory structure. The files are there. The .itl file is there but it shows updated yesterday. I added a song from Apple Music this morning so I would think that would update the .itl file to today's date. Looking at the Info for the files with exclamation points it seems they're all the ones located in the iTunes Media/Music subfolder of Darryl's iTunes Library. Do you suggest I move them to the parent directory? If I do what's the next step to bring it all together, consolidate library?

User uploaded file

Jun 30, 2018 1:10 AM in response to bigeasydj

Signing out of the iTunes Store and back in again should resolve cloudy duplicates, though it could cause iTunes to discard any previously downloaded Apple Music tracks. Again a little more information about exactly what you're seeing might help. See About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support. If you turn on the status columns you'll be able to see if there is anything that Apple Music sees as a duplicate, or other issues such as files that are waiting to match or upload.

tt2

Jun 30, 2018 5:34 PM in response to bigeasydj

See Make a split library portable. Ideally your library would be in this shape. An iTunes folder, containing an iTunes Media folder containing folders for various media types, and then split further by say (album) artist and album for music. Apple Music DRM tracks get their own Apple Music subfolder inside iTunes Media. Work out which your active iTunes Library.itl file is by Date Modified, then with iTunes closed arrange the components of the library in the correct shape, use option-start-iTunes to reconnect to the desired .itl file if you move it. Once you've got the basic structure fixed you can try repairing links where iTunes doesn't work it out for itself, or use the technique from earlier to move things to where iTunes is now expecting to find them.

tt2

Jun 29, 2018 5:52 PM in response to turingtest2

Appreciate the reply and the time involved in responding.

I made sure I applied the changes to the subfolders.

I have no third party anti-virus.

Here are the answers to your three questions.

1. The location of the media folder under Edit > Preferences > Advanced

/Users/darrylj/Music/Darryl's iTunes Library

2. The location of a sample missing track shown under Get Info > File > Location that begins file://localhost/

file:///Users/darrylj/Music/Darryl's iTunes Library/iTunes Media/Music/Ariana Grande/My Everything/1-09 Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd).mp3

3. The true path to the file whose details you gave in 2

/Users/darrylj/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ariana Grande/My Everything/1-09 Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd).mp3

This isn't the first time Apple has screwed up my library by having me move things because it appears I have files in different locations. I don't know how I could marry the two.

Jun 29, 2018 8:38 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2, you clearly rock! I took the chance and merged the iTunes Media folder as you suggested and it seems I no longer have exclamation points and I clicked a few songs and everyone of them played. Thank. You. So one last question... As an Apple Music subscriber is it normal to see duplicates of every song? If not what is the correction? Once again, thank you very much.

iTunes cannot locate any songs in library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.