Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files app: Create new folder On My iPad

Does the new iOS 11.4 support creating a folder, not a sub folder, on my iPad Air 2 in Flies? If not, when will this feature be added? If it does, what is the process.

If I have a folder called [Documents] on iCloud Drive, how can I “move” that folder to my ipad?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4, iPad Air 2

Posted on Jun 28, 2018 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2018 11:02 PM

No. The iPad does not have a traditional File System, as such the folders you see in "On My iPad" are actually Apps installed on your iPad, and not just folders.

If you need a folder of files, it needs to be inside one of the Apps in "On My iPad".

You can move a folder from iCloud Drive to a folder in "On My iPad" by tapping the "Select" link at the top right corner, then tap on the folder you wish to move to select it, then on "Move" at the bottom of the screen, and then finally navigating to one of the Apps there.

Note that any changes made to files in that folder once its moved to "On My iPad" will no longer sync to iCloud and as such will not appear on other devices that access that iCloud account. You will need to manually move the updates onto iCloud Drive for them to be available to other devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2018 11:02 PM in response to 60sliberal

No. The iPad does not have a traditional File System, as such the folders you see in "On My iPad" are actually Apps installed on your iPad, and not just folders.

If you need a folder of files, it needs to be inside one of the Apps in "On My iPad".

You can move a folder from iCloud Drive to a folder in "On My iPad" by tapping the "Select" link at the top right corner, then tap on the folder you wish to move to select it, then on "Move" at the bottom of the screen, and then finally navigating to one of the Apps there.

Note that any changes made to files in that folder once its moved to "On My iPad" will no longer sync to iCloud and as such will not appear on other devices that access that iCloud account. You will need to manually move the updates onto iCloud Drive for them to be available to other devices.

Jul 1, 2018 10:57 AM in response to 60sliberal

Apple's apps such Pages, Numbers, and Keynote already let you access the folders on iCloud directly within the App.

If the folder you want to move is inside the Pages folder on iCloud, it may already be downloaded to your device.

You can tell which files are downloaded already, and which files are still in iCloud by looking at the top right corner of the file. If there's a cloud icon User uploaded file, the file is only on iCloud. If there is no cloud icon, then its already locally downloaded to the iPad and can be accessed offline.

Jun 30, 2018 11:02 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil!

Thanks for the info about folder creation on local device & about needing to leave folders on iCloud.

When I select a folder, say within Pages, on iCloud, the only choice I have is Delete, the other choices Share, Duplicate, Move are grayed out. What am I doing wrong?

How do I get the files created on iCloud in my Numbers folder to auto download into my Numbers folder on my local device? Also, if the files are on my local device, then I can access the files offline, correct?

I have the Adobe app on my device & a folder for it was created on iCloud, but not on my iPad. What do I need to do to get the Adobe folder created on my iPad?

Appreciate any help you can give. When I read the docs about Files & try to follow a procedure suggested, I keep running into a problem - seems I must not have setup something correctly.

Jul 1, 2018 5:53 PM in response to Phil0124

I hear what you are saying, but files that are clearly on iCloud & don’t have the cloud icon, are not in the app’s folder on my device. I am in Belize & don’t have access to the internet all the time, hence I need my files offline on my devices.

I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have iCloud activated on my devices but somehow the files aren’t downloading to my device. Besides, Pages & Numbers files not downloading, the files assiciated w/the Adobe app, not only are they not downloading, the folder isn’t appearing!

Very frustrating …

Files app: Create new folder On My iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.