Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows in front of fullscreen

Hi,

I've been working with a mac now for half a year, before that I was on Windows and Linux. There is one future I haven't gotten used to and I would rather have it working differently.

I always work with applications in fullscreen and two screens. I would like to be able to drag one application from one screen to the other when I have something open in fullscreen on the other screen. What actually happens is that I can't drag the application to the other screen that has something else open in fullscreen.

I would like to be able to put applications on top of a fullscreen application if it's possible.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Jun 29, 2018 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 5:14 AM

If you hold down the option/alt key while clicking the green button at the top left, that will cause the window to take up the full height of the screen. It will not cause it to horizontally fill the screen.

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 3, 2018 1:54 AM in response to thegr8patsy

Each full screen application has to have it's own space. As you have noted, you can't drag one full screen app onto another. You can try going control - up arrow and create a new Desktop using the plus sign at the top right to see if that helps.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Click here to send Feedback

Jul 3, 2018 6:04 AM in response to thegr8patsy

BetterTouchTool has a similar feature. You can drag a window to various sides of the monitor and it will snap to 1/4 of the screen, 1/2 of the screen, all of the screen, but not cover the menu bar nor the Dock.

BetterTouchTool also has hotkeys, and can map hundreds of trackpad gestures. I can live without it, but I do NOT want to 😁

windows in front of fullscreen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.